Basement in Townhome - common wall finishing

Old 07-11-08, 07:44 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement in Townhome - common wall finishing

I live in a middle unit in a townhome and wanted to finish my basement.

The exterior wall is pretty straight forward - 2x4 framing, insulate, vapor barrier and sheetrock.

But what I have a question about is the common walls - these are cement blocks that form the firewall between the units and span from the footing through to the roof.

Do I need to (or should I even) insulate the walls that are common with my neightors basement?

I'm thinking it's not needed as they wouldn't need to be if I had a cement block partition in the middle of my basement.

Should I simply go to a 2x4's flat-faced for framing even? (to gain a few inches)

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-08, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Do your neighbors have their basements finished and conditioned? If so, you can, at least, share that conditioning via the common walls. The only reason I would insulate those walls would be to reduce sound transmission (which may not be a bad idea). You will use the same number of studs, basically, to fur the walls out as you would to do a regular wall, and running electrical services would be alot easier if you built a regular wall, and you won't lose that much room space.