Resilient channels vs recessed lights.

Old 07-13-08, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Resilient channels vs recessed lights.

Hello,

I'm planning to install resilient channels and 6" bats of pink fibreglass insulation on the ceiling and one wall next to the stairs with 5/8" gyprock on the ceiling. . I am also planning to install recessed lights encased in a BT1200 box, but there's a couple of questions I can't find answers anywhere for:

1. Normally the recessed lights box is installed by extending aluminium arms and attaching the to either the joists or frame that's flush with the joists. Then the light is designed to have just enough room to go on top of a gyprock, but now that I use the resilient channels I'd have to lower the boxes the 1/2" which is the height of the channels. If I attach 1/2 a plank of wood to the joists to lower the boxes, the lights would be at appropriate height, but I'd be "shortening" the channels by having the lowered frame toughing the gyprock. Is there another way to install recessed lights with resilient channels so that the box is low enough so the lights extend to the other side of the gyprock, yet preserving the resiliency from the channels?

2. I'm also aware that having recessed lights with insulated ceiling greatly decreases the sound insulation, but I read some post about constructing soundproof boxes around the recessed light boxes. Anyone knows the details? Techniques?

Thank you for any insights.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-08, 09:14 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might go to www.avsforum.com and check there - I've seen some construction details like you are asking for posted there. The search function there will be your friend.