Making an attic into a bedroom

Old 07-15-08, 08:46 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Making an attic into a bedroom

Hi there
we have bought a house that has 2 bedrooms the problem there is 4 of us!!
We were thinking about making the attic into a bedroom for my 8 year old daughter!!
We are coming accross a few problems!!
We need to do this quick as we are living in a house that got sold and we have to move by the middle to end of august!!
This is a very old house we bought and well!!
we dont have a lot of money because we have to move this house on to land hook everything up to it as welll as replace the paint and other things that wreaked durning the move!!
BUT~~~~~~~~
My main question is how do we make this attic space into a bedroom ??
My husband say we cant have much up ther because it takes the weight off the roof and it makes it less strong??
But the people that owned the house prior to us had kids up there with out redoing anything??
I want to make a space for my daughter she will want to be in?? for cheap is this possible??
There is a link to a pictures of each side of the attic!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-08, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Not being able to see your ceiling/floor joists, it would be difficult to advise you on that, but since it appears to have carpet, someone used it for foot traffic. If the floor is substantial enough, you should be able to make it into a living area. How do you access the area from the main floor? You can't remove the knee walls. You will have to install baffles and insulation in the rafter area, although you will be limited to R19. Can't see if you have a ridge vent, but it would help if you did in order to keep the hot air moving. You will have to provide HVAC somehow. Where will she use the bathroom? Just a few questions to get you rolling.

Old 07-16-08, 09:00 AM
M
Question

There are stairs that are steep ones but we plan to put newer ones in as well!!
And no there is no ridge venting!! But my husband said if you have ridge venting and not something else?? we would be heating the counrty side??
Yes there is carpet up there, and the stairs are behind a normal door we plan on just taking out, so we have normal stairs going up, and its just her room up there!!

Old 07-16-08, 10:17 PM
M
Red face ????

Please someone help me more!!!
I really have to move into this place in the next few weeks!!!
Thanks

Old 07-16-08, 11:36 PM
More info

Not sure what your talking about as far as heating everywhere, there are baffles you put in the soffits to keep the insulation away from the vents in the soffits and keep the hot air circulating out of your attic in order to make your roof last longer. Air movement in an attic is essential.

As far as heating it, you would have to insulate the room and run ducting for your hvac. (if not present) Looks like you have a window to replace too in order to make an energy effecient as well.

Turning it into a usable space should not be a problem, RIA trusses are designed to hold a snow load (permitting on area) as well as a live load. You should have minimal problems utilizing this space.

Old 07-17-08, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Moving in within a few weeks ain't gonna happen if you do this thing right. What more help can we assist you with? The ridge vents won't be taking your conditioned air to the atmosphere as suggested by your husband. Combined with soffit vents, it will allow air movement over your living area keeping it cooler in the summer. The heat you will experience in this attic will be tremendous, so you have to insulate it, allow air movement over the insulation, install HVAC supply and return, insulate the knee walls, run your electrical according to code, cut in your windows on each gable, get it inspected, cover the walls and ceiling. Let us know how we can help further.