Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Furring Strips vs. Box Frames for Drywall over Concrete

Old 07-17-08, 09:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

As part of a large remodel project, we have a concrete wall basement that we'd like to drywall over.

I've been reading online, and I'm starting to get confused. So I'm asking for advice.

There seem to be two ways to hang drywall over concrete. If there's another one, though, I'm game. I want to do it right, since we're planning on staying in this house long term.

One way involves putting up furring strips. What I read on furring strips says that it's the hard way of framing for drywall. As I understand it, furring strips are basically studs glued to concrete. You put them at the 16" standard gaps and put the drywall over it.

Another suggestion was to build a box frame on the basement floor and then put it up to the wall. Again, I read on a couple of FAQs that this was easy. It seems that simply affixing studs to the concrete and hanging drywall on them would be easier.

So I think there's got to be something I'm missing. Is there?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-08, 10:19 AM
Z

Furring strips will only work if you concrete walls are exactly plumb and flush. Drywall doesnt really bend well. Also, if you nail into your concrete, you might crack it and cause more problem.

save the effort and build yourself a frame. remember that if you use wood, any wood that touches concrete should be treated wood.

Zev.

Old 07-18-08, 03:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Furring strips are ok for above grade but I'd never use them below grade. Sometimes it's hard enough to keep a basement dry without nail holes in the wall

Old 07-18-08, 04:41 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I think the furring strips would be fine. I did my basement with furring strips and have never had a problem.

Old 07-18-08, 05:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Furring strips might work fine, but I think building the frame would be easier anyway.

Old 07-18-08, 06:30 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Easier !!! Yes!! But it will cost more! Plus you will lose space.

Old 07-21-08, 07:38 PM
H
Trouble with furring strips is they are cheap left over pieces of wood. Your lucky if they are straight and not twisted. It would take a lot of sorting to find enough suitable pieces to do a wall. you could glue them to eh wall, however its a lot of work for a cheap wall.

I am in the middle of remodeling my basement rec room as we speak. I opted for a wainscoating wall. Top 4' is drywall, lower 32" is beaded 3/8" paneling with 1x6 baeboard to fill the gap. I bought 2x4 and ripped them to 2x2 for the studs and top rail. I nailed my bottom rail into the concrete floor and nailed my top rail into the sill board on top of the blocks. There are no nails in my cinder blocks, and my studs dont make contact with the cinder blocks. You could nail it into the floor joists instead of the sill plate if you have bowed basement walls.

If you ahve a table saw, ripping a 2x4 is cheaper then buying 2x2's. Or you could just use the 2x4. your going to lose 2" of space per wall if you use 2x2 and 1/2" drywall. If you use 2x4 your out 4" per side verse the 1.25" for furring strips. If 2.75" is going to make that big of a difference then maybe you should just paint the walls your favorite colors.