backdraft from the attic

Old 07-19-08, 05:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
backdraft from the attic

Please help!
We are getting a backdraft of stale air from the attic. It is coming into our 2nd floor bedroom through the vent near the ceiling. I thought this vent was intended to circulate air by taking air out of the room. How can we stop this stinky attic air from coming into our bedroom?
Sandy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-08, 06:22 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You say vent! Is this a vent for your HVAC system?

Old 07-19-08, 06:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You have to figure out why all of a sudden the air is flowing in that direction and what's causing the smell. Have you looked up there or on the sides of the house? Is there a ridge vent?

Old 07-19-08, 07:40 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does the "stale" air smell like sewage?

Old 07-23-08, 06:30 PM
B
Backdraft of stale air from the attic

I can't figure out why we are getting stale air from the attic coming into our second floor bedroom. The vent this air is coming out of is part of the HVAC system. It is on an interior wall near the ceiling. We have vents in the attic that run along the peak of the roof. This draft does not smell like sewage-it just smells like our musty attic! Is the shaft this vent opens into supposed to be open into the attic? The AC and furnace are turned off. I have also discovered that I can smell it by the vent in the room directly under the bedroom.
Sandy

Old 07-23-08, 07:14 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Go in the attic above that vent and follow the tube or duct. Is there a break in it somehwere? Did a mouse or somethning chew a hole in it?

Old 07-24-08, 03:10 PM
A
I have a similar problem that I've been trying to solve

Every time we turn our (brand new) central a/c system on in our 50 year old split level home with a walk up attic we get a terrible odor throughout our home. I've checked sewer lines etc.. We've replaced most all floors, walls and even disinfected our basement and had the walls sprayed with fungicide and anti mold paint. We are running a dehumidifier.
I think we have very similar problems, My belief is that our attic is too hot, the insulation is old and smelly, and the rafters are old and smelly. The stale smelly air is entering the return air duct somehow and getting into the living space of your home. I am going to remove all the old insulation - which is on the ceiling (wrong) of the attic and walls. Clean it up good - then spray a product like Kilnz on all the wood up there. Install an attic fan, and install new insulation. Also, I'm thinking about a radiant barrrier on the ceiling to reduce the heat in the attic. One last thing is I'm going to wrap the hard metal duct work with insulation and foil tape to elminate any leaks. I presently have a 5' x 3' window that acts as a source to introduce air from the outside. I'll let you know how I make out. Good luck. My wife is ready to put our house on the market.

Old 08-16-08, 11:13 AM
P
Attic smell in upstairs bedroom

I too have this same problem. A/C people have came out and said the return air duct had came loose so they reconnected and taped up. Smell is still there. The smell is strongest in the morning since the ac doesnt run so much at night time. I can still smell during the day but not as much. Smell seems to go away when cool outside but returns once it warms up. Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this smell..

Old 08-16-08, 01:12 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For one thing, I hope you got rid of the filter as that must smell by now and be holding it in.

Heat simply amplifies any odor, so I do not make much of the changes you get.

There is certain fiberglass I have come across that when it gets hot it smells like something died.

Could it be then that something did get into the duct and eat away and expose insulation layer? Or, perhaps some creature is dead in there, like a mouse, as already stated, or bat or squirrel. I have also changed out many filters that have had dead bats plastered up against them.

You could place anything really aromatic in the return just in front of the filter. There are scented candles that give off nice aromas. You could place as many as you need. Obviously don't light it(them) though. Liquid potpourri. That super odor neutralizer stuff where only one drop can kill skunk odors (so certain like-claims are made). Etc.