Adding Insulation to the attic

Old 07-22-08, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Insulation to the attic

What's the most economical way to add insulation to my attic. I have a 25 year old condo with about 1400 sf. I had a guy from the power company come out and give me an energy analysis and he says I'm fine - but I find that hard to believe since I can see the flooring in places in my attic. I'm pretty sure I need more insulation (my neighbor agrees) and I'd like some input about which type would be most economical -- blown or batts. I've read that blown is the least costly product but batts are easier to install and require less time (less labor cost) (is this true??), so would that balance out and justify installing the batts?

I live in S. Fla. (zone 2) and I don't intend to do this myself -- I hate going to the attic - it's just too dang hot up there! I pity the guy who does this for a living! I wonder if they charge less labor if it's done in the cooler months!

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-08, 04:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't understand why you doubt the guy from the power company. Why do you need so much insulation in Southern Florida?

If you still want to add more, I wouldn't use blown. When it first became popular, there was a chemical pollution problem with it. I never trusted it since.

Old 07-22-08, 07:23 PM
Thanks for your input Pulpo.

To answer your questions, I have doubts about the analysis by the FPL guy because there are places where I can clearly see there is no insulation at all.

We need insulation in S. Fla. to keep cool air in and hold down the a/c bill in summer, just as northern folks need to keep the warm air in and hold down the heating bill in winter.

Old 07-23-08, 07:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Maybe some day, I'll be lucky enough to live in Florida (I hate the cold) and I'll find out for myself but in the meantime, I don't understand how much cool air could be escaping from the attic, since it's hot air that rises.

Old 07-23-08, 09:22 PM
D
The first thing I would suggest is to make sure your attic is ventilating properly. Do you have soffit vents, gable vents and/ or roof vents? If these are are properly sized and working well that is half the battle. Next, if you can see the flooring in the attic then you should add more insulation. A 6" bed will be ideal. Go with the blown in cellulose, as it is inexpensive and can be done by a do it yourselfer. Blown in insulation gives even coverage and can be easily moved away from an area that requires repairs at a later date. By the way the cellulose is much more friendly to handle than fiberglass. The product and machine is available at most home centers.
Thanks for listening.

Old 07-24-08, 09:16 AM
Thank you!! That's just what I needed to know!

To Pulpo -- trust me, insullation is needed here too. And, as for living in Florida, many people come down thinking they'd love to live where it's always warm, but soon discover it isn't all that it's cracked up to be and move back home, others of us would love to move back but for one reason or another find that we're just stuck. Stay near your roots and your family. You'll be happier!

Old 07-24-08, 09:44 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Believe me, I won't happier. I hate the cold weather. I suffer through every winter and I'm not much of a family man but thanks for the advice.