Re-finishing a "finished" basement: 2-parter

Old 07-22-08, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re-finishing a "finished" basement: 2-parter

This is a 2-part inquiry, and of course begins with a story.
My wife and I moved into a new house a little over a year ago, and one of the main attractions (for me, anyway) was that half the basement was walled off and finished. Unfortunately, as it turned out, the finishing job had two shortcomings: carpet was laid directly on the concrete floor, and the drywall was cut too close to the floor. Over the winter an overflowing gutter resulted in quite a bit of water getting in. The carpet was wrecked, and the drywall wicked up some moisture from the carpet, and a few spots of mold started to grow. The gutter problem has been corrected, and now I want to re-construct my man-cave, but since basements are inherently damp, I am seeking advice on a couple things.
1. I believe I have stopped the mold-growth problem on the drywall with bleach and a dehumidifier, and I don't really want to pull it all down. Is it practical to trim one-half inch to an inch off the bottom with the drywall in place, and if so, what's the best tool? Also, should I pull out a section of drywall just to see if a proper vapor barrier was installed between the insulation and the outer wall?
2. I plan to install a subfloor (Dri-Core, specifically), but there is a lot of carpet adhesive on the floor. I intend to remove as much of it as I can (I'm leaning towards sanding) and re-seal the floor, maybe add a coat of epoxy, and hope for the best. Or do I have to remove it ALL? Does it present a possible mold or odor problem if (excuse me, WHEN) it gets wet again?
Thanks for any guidance you can give me on this, and anything you can add that I may not have thought of.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-08, 11:11 PM
H
fix the gutter.
slope the ground away from teh house.
install a french drain around the house to remove rain from a heavy hard storm. Rain water moves laterally before it soaks down. google french drain.

Since the drywall is already mounted to the wall the best tool to cut it is a hand drywall saw.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...294-51834-8052

Howveer that will also cut through your vapor barrier.

You could use a utility knife to score the drywall, tehn crack it and cut the other side of the drywall paper. Or keep pushing the blade through the drywall, each stroke getting deeper until you go through it. Tehn again, you risk cutting the vapro barrier.

As for the floor, sorry not much help here. Ceramic tile or carpet. If you go with wood, get a plastic wood susstitute or pressure treated wood.

Old 07-25-08, 09:07 PM
Update

OK, here's an update on my plans for the basement project.
Sanding off the adhesive is out: the resulting dust would just be too much to deal with. However, it's gotta come off as I'm told it's a potential medium for mold growth in the long term, so it looks like I've got some scraping to do (oh, my back...). Note to all homeowners: DO NOT glue carpet directly to your basement floor! If you do, down the road someone will be cursing you just like I'm cursing the previous owners of my home. Basements get wet, people, that's just the way it is.
Also I should note that the gutters and other outdoor drainage issues have already been addressed -- I did that first, and if anyone reading this is thinking about finishing their basement, that's what they should do first, too, just as Hanr3 suggests. And thanks to him for the drywall-trimming tip.
As for that drywall, it's on 2x4 studs, probably with batts of insulation between the studs. I'm probably gonna have to pull down at least one section just to make sure everything's hunky-dory (i.e., mold-free) before I continue. Who knows, you guys might be reading new posts on this thread until this time next year, as I work my way through this project. At least if I pull out the drywall I'll get rid of that tacky textured paint...

Old 07-27-08, 05:06 PM
H
sounds like a plan and your welcome.

Yesterday I framed up phase two of my basement recroom remodel. Today I hung eht ceiling drywall.

Have you thought about a thin layer of cement over the top of your basement floor. IT should encase that carpet glue forever.

Old 07-29-08, 03:57 PM
W
I'm surprised the adhesive is a problem unless there are gobs of it. But if you must, what about using a heat gun to help get it up?