Painting Field Stone Basement

Old 07-28-08, 01:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Field Stone Basement

I just bought my first house and i am not very handy at all. I have a house built in 1920 with a field stone basement. It is a dry basement not leaking but we want to paint it white for looks because we can't finish it. The stone is showing in a lot of places (i have never seen a brand new field stone basement so i don't know what they are suppposed to look like). In addition to the stone it looks like it was initially painted with white paint but that has since chipped away in a good amount of spots. We are painting strictly for look nothing else. I tried to paint on a humid day(mistake #1) and attempted to roll the paint on without getting every loose piece off the walls(mistake #2). I did only attempt to paint one section so that was the smart thing. I prepped the wall by taking a hard brush broom and sweeping the crap out of the walls (i took a lot off the walls), i then vaccumed all the dust from the walls, sprayed a "basement wall cleaner" on the walls and wiped down with rag. I then attempted to roll paint on...well we all know what happenned, pieces of the wall kept coming off onto the roller and falling on the floor and i could not apply a consistent layer of paint. I thought that may happen. I understand that i did not prep the walls adequately but I don't want to chip off every loose piece because i don't want to compromise the "dryness" of the basement. The walls are working 100%. I am thinking of spraying the walls but i think that is going to be a pain. Does anyone have suggestions to help with my situation besides just saying, "don't paint your walls." Should I spray, and if so do i have to cover every single thing and wear a suit of some sort, or is there a method of rolling or brushing the paint on? I hope someone can help me with my situation. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 07:12 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Unfortunately, if you don't remove all the lose chips, the wall will continue to shed like a dog, no matter if you spray or roll. That's just the nature of it.

Can you cover the walls with paneling?

Old 07-29-08, 07:21 AM
J
Pulpo, thank you for your response. We are not interested in putting up panelling. If i chip out all the loose stone will i jeopardize the integrity of the basement walls? What i mean is, the basement is 100% dry and does not leak, by chipping out all the old stone could i actually cause the basement to start leaking?

If i do chip away all the loose stone, what are the tools required and what is a suggested method?

Old 07-29-08, 04:34 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Leaks start from the outside. Removing the lose stones on the inside shouldn't cause a leak. There is probably block behind the filedstone. I use a strong scraper to remove lose chips, tapping lightly when needed. It takes time, so don't rush.