basement flooring

Old 07-28-08, 09:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement flooring

I just ripped some carpet in one of the rooms in my basement. I thought the glue was used only in a small section but it turned out all of the carpet was glued to the cement floor. The foam backing of the carpet did not come off. I am considering installing laminate flooring. Would it be okay to use the existing foam stuck to the floor as underlayment? If not, is there a way to remove the foam & glue without using strong chemicals? I thought that maybe the tool used to scrape vinyl floors could be use to lift up the glue/foam, but it's really stuck so I think it's probably not the most efficient way to do it. Any advice will be welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-08, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am engaged in the same operation: removing carpet adhesive from my basement floor. I did a little research in the forums here, and so far nobody's offered an "easy" way, and it's shaping up to be a long unpleasant job. (See my thread: "Refinishing a 'finished' basement". I'll be posting there periodically.)
The professionals seem to agree that removal is preferable to covering it up, as it represents a possible mold hazard over time. Even the driest basements experience condensation, but this doesn't mean you can't put new flooring down over the stuff. Just be aware that you may be revisiting this problem a few years down the road.
That said, I'm still committed to removal. The orange cleanser and razor scraper combo isn't doing so good, so next I'm going to try softening the glue with a heat gun and using a floor scraper (the heavy-duty kind with a foot pedal). If you still have stuck padding, the heat gun might not be a good idea, though (I'm sure it gives off nasty fumes when it burns). I also want to avoid using harsh or toxic solvents as we have small pets, but I know you can get adhesive remover in the flooring section of any local home-improvement center.
If you find something that really does the job, please let me know, and I'll do the same. Good luck.