2 gable vents?

Old 07-29-08, 01:18 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 gable vents?

Does it make sense to have a gable vent at one peak of the attic and a second, powered vent at the other?

Right now there is adequate soffit vents but they have been slightly reduced by the addition of vynal soffit paneling over the eaves. There is also one powered gable vent at one end of teh attic that comes on when it gets hot up there. Its working harder this summer after the vynal soffit paneling was added.

Does it make sense to add an "input" gable vent to the other end?

No ridge vents please because the gable vent is already there.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-08, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Adding another gable vent will ventilate the top portion of the attic, but without the negative atmosphere created by the fan, the air near and coming through the soffits won't move very well. Not knowing your house layout, I would say the open gable vent plus the powered vent fan, thermostatically controlled, should be sufficient to move the hot air out.

Old 07-29-08, 03:00 PM
J
Usually, gable vents come in pairs, for flow thru ventilation, at least with older houses. But what Chandler said. You need a complete air path, if you have a fan(out), you must have an 'in'. Soffit vents don't work all that well with gable vents, but some air flow is much better than none.

Old 07-30-08, 04:05 AM
K
2 gable vents?

Thanks guys.

Attic is square, BTW. Based on this I will add a gable to the opposite end of the roof peak so I'll end up with two gable vents (one fan powered) and the soffit vents.

Like I said, the soffits dont really work that great anymore anyway since they were nearly covered with vinyl so it should improve flow through.