Finishing basement-not sure what to do next...

Old 07-30-08, 02:14 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing basement-not sure what to do next...

I am in the process of finishing my basement. The drywall is in and primed and I have hung the cabinets and built my bar. I am going to put tile down on half of the floor (should I use ceramic or porcelin?-only foot traffic, kids, etc.). I will have someone else put carpet down on the other half.

My question is in what order should I put down the tile, carpet, trim/doors? I kind of thought I would do the carpet last as I will have a professional install it and let them worry about transitions, etc. I would appreciate any comments.

Also, we just built the house 2 years ago. The basement floor is fairly level. Is it ok if I put the tile directly over the concrete?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-08, 07:00 PM
A
basement

In terms of timing, do the tile first, then the door framing, baseboards and any doors. Do the carpet last -- remember to paint before the carpet goes down!

Old 08-01-08, 04:54 AM
F
Ditto Allison on the sequencing. Ceramic or porcelain tile doesn't really matter in home use, both will hold up fine. We have both. If you install the tile directly onto the concrete and the concrete ever develops any cracks (remember, things settle over time), they will telegraph through and crack the tile. An isolation membrane between the tile and concrete, such as Schluter Ditra, will prevent this.There are other products to do this as well. For the tile to carpet transition, a metal eding strip (anodized aluminum) incorporated into the tile edge will allow the carpet to come right up to the tile for a clean look.http://www.schluter.com/products.aspx

Old 08-04-08, 09:02 AM
M
Thank you both for the responses-I really appreciate it.

One other (important) item I did not mention is I applied Quikrete basement epoxy coating to the concrete. It is the same product as their garage floor coating. Will the adhesive have a problem adhering to the epoxy floor coating?

The membrane looks to be a great product, but I believe it is very expensive. I think it costs more than the tile itself. I have heard I could possibly rough up the service with sandpaper, but not sure what I need to do. Any suggestions?