Mild Flooding in My Basement

Old 08-02-08, 08:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mild Flooding in My Basement

Came home from vacation to find my finished basement had flooded. Apparently, we received about 1 month's worth of rain in less than 24 hours. I looked around and noticed there wasn't a water line along the walls, so my guess is just enough water got in to soak all of the carpeting, but not so much that it was inches high. I've been moving everything out of the basement with the intent to tear out all of the carpeting. Once I get this done, I was going to get some fans down there to dry the cement (and I've had my dehumidifier running on overdrive). I'm thinking about resealing the basement floor and just leaving it at this point. Now, I've also noticed there was some mold growing on the walls.... about 1' - 1.5' high. Any suggestions for cleaning the walls so this mold won't return? Any other cost-effective, easy to-do suggestions also welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-08, 06:41 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Carpet should be fine to leave in. Once it dry's out (1 to 2 days) have it steam cleaned. 10 parts water to one part bleach will be fine for block walls.

Old 08-02-08, 07:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would extract the carpet now, I wouldn't wait. Put some fans or air movers there 48 hrs straight afterwards.

Old 08-03-08, 05:06 AM
J
Is there a sump pump?? Most basement water problems are caused by improper drainage/grading around the foundations, and/or poorly working gutters/downspouts. This is not your question, but checking these things could help avoid a reoccurance.

Old 08-04-08, 11:30 PM
M
There is no sump pump. I've spent the past couple days ripping out carpet and should be finished tomorrow. Dehumidifier has been running all day each day but it's still pretty damp down there. I'm probably going to just reseal the concrete floor when I'm done, but the next problem I'm running into is all the lovely mold on the walls--probably extending about 1/2' - 2' up the drywall. I have some mold-remover detergent, but does this mean I will need to replace the drywall?

Thanks for the continued help!!!

Old 08-05-08, 03:48 AM
J
If there is mold showing, there is also mold behind. I would remove it up about 12". Was there insulation behind the drywall, that is also likey wet.

Old 08-09-08, 06:46 PM
M
Fortunately, there was no insulation. Unfortunately, after getting all of the carpeting removed (and the mat), we had some more rain and it reflooded. So, whatever hole/s cropped up while we were gone, they're letting the water in now.

So, I'll continue letting it dry and then reseal it. I miss renting.