Emergency, ladies in distress.

Old 08-04-08, 09:51 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Emergency, ladies in distress.

Hello
I think this will be an unusual problem, but I really hope you can answer it for me. I share with four other women, a hundred year old, two story Victorian with a full basement. It is built on the side of a hill with rock foundation. Our landlord has just converted the attic into an apartment. The size of the attic is approx 40ft X 60ft. He has added 3/4" plywood to the floors and used 1/2" sheetrock to completely sheetrock the attic, plus adding a good 80 ft of 4" x 6" beams. Anyway, we four women are very concerned about all this additional weight overhead, as the house now sways when people walk around in the attic and cracks are appearing in our bedroom walls. The landlord told us that was normal for a victorian house. However we live in earthquake country and are greatly concerned about our safety. Please advise us. Thank you so much for your time. Prema Rachel

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-08, 09:58 AM
was it permitted and inspected ?

Old 08-04-08, 11:22 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll second that question.

If the work was unpermitted, the "buliders" may have removed required structural components in the attic, weakening the structure.

This happened right down the street from me two summers ago on a building someoen was trying to flip on the cheap. The building just leaned over sideways against its neighbor... with the workers who had been cutting out the structural components inside.

Serious injuries, but no one killed, fortunately.