Mold in the Basement

Old 08-04-08, 08:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold in the Basement

We are about to move into our new house. The house passed the inspection, but the person we brought in to work on minor problems commented on the musty smell in the basement and noticed that the carpet (installed over tiles) feels humid. He uncovered the edges of the carpet and there were traces of mold on the wooden stips holding the carpet. He is recommending to bring a machine to suck the humidity for 4 to 6 days, and cutting parts of the drywall to check for humidity there. He keeps saying that even after doing this (for a few thousands of dollars), the problem may come back. The basement has no dehumidifier, which could be part of the problem, but is there a way to find out if there is the mold has affected the house's foundation? What if we keep paying for repair and the problem comes back because it is deeper than what we are seeing?

We have no experience in this area, so I really appreciate all your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-08, 04:39 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
A couple of grand for a dehumidifier and to cut a hole is way to much. 1st most basements will benefit from a dehumidifier. Do yourself a favor and by a good one. I don't know why they would have tack stripes in the basement. Id remove these and glue the carpet down. If there is no signs of flooding in the basement the walls should be fine. Mold does not cause foundation problems, water does.

Old 08-05-08, 05:09 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The house passed the inspection, so we are assuming there is no water problem. This person who identified the mold problem, post inspection, said that the humidity in the house could have been caused by a prior water damage. He is thinking by cutting holes in the drywall, he could determine if there is a water damage. Does that make sense?

Old 08-05-08, 06:17 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I will only cut holes IF I see some evidence on the outside of the wall. If there is nothing on the outside there is most likely nothing on the inside.