Basement help

Old 08-06-08, 08:57 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement help

I just purchased a home and last night I was cleaning the basement of all the dust and dirt. When I was spraying the walls and the floor I noticed that water was going out of the wall where the poured walls meet the basement floor & it sounded like it was running right into drain tile by the sounds of it. I purchased this house less than a month ago and we have had a few heavy rains in that time period and I have not seen any water in that area at all. I have asked around and talked to a couple of builders and I guess my question has two parts. First part of my question is this a big problem or is it normal? What should I do to fix this problem? Second part of the question is I was told that in some houses that when the houses are built that they sometimes put drainage tile underneath the basement and well as around the foundation. Is this true? The home I just purchased was built in 2003. Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-08, 01:09 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There are systems that work as you descrive, probably the most widely used is the "Waterguard" product:

Old 08-07-08, 09:35 AM
I
RE: Basement Help

Michael,

Thank you for your reply. This waterguard product that you have a picture of and a layout of how it works is there a lip that stick out off the floor flush to the wall? The reason why I ask is I see it in the diagram but in my basement there is no lip that comes out of the basement floor. I am having a hard time finding out whom poured the walls because I bought the house from a bank. Is there any way you know of that I can check for this myself?
Also, is the waterguard a common product in newer built homes? I will take pictures this weekend and I would like to show them to you if you do not mind. Thanks again.

Old 08-07-08, 12:05 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pictures would be very helpful.