Concrete slab heaving

Old 08-12-08, 10:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete slab heaving

My condo was flooded by a near by river. I'm in a 4-plex and cannot rebuild untill next spring. I lost my furnace and some windows. My question is can Iseal up the windows with plastic until spring or do I need to install a furnace to keep heat in so the concrete slab will not heave. I live in Iowa.

Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-08, 01:16 PM
Concrete slab heaving

Just curious - Why do you have to wait until spring? - Association, insurance, etc.?

I would do whater necessary to keep the unit above freezing. Since you are in a condo, you probably have some interior walls the limit the exposure to the weather.

Look into a furnace as soon as possible since you will need one and you can get good prices and delayed payments at this time of the year. Get a good programable thermostat, so you can set the heat low.

If you have a southern exposure, poly may be good enough for your climate, since the ground actually provides some heat and the interior walls will help (if the adjoining residents do something). If you have a lot of eastern and northern exposure a blanket over the poly will reduce heat loss at night.

since you had a flood you undoubtedly have wet insulation, "drywall/wet wall" and framing in the walls, which will require replacement also.

I am surprised your association does not require prompt repairs.

Dick

Old 08-12-08, 01:54 PM
J
Yes, all of the condos have been mitigated by a professional. Bare studs up to 4 feet. All mold removed. We are waiting for FEMA on buyout of all units so we cannot go forward till spring. If that doesn"t happen we will be forced to rebuild. So no one wants to put money to heat if possible. But if the slab might heave we will have to. We have a lot of frost in the winter. Many days below zero.