Crawlspace question..

Old 08-14-08, 09:57 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crawlspace question..

Hey guys, I have a very moist crawlspace in the N.E. region of P.A. I started by jacking the house and replacing a 16ft. section of the main beam support. Then 12 joists that had rotted up a few inches. All the lumber I replaced you could stick your fingers into. I ripped down the old instalation,(looked like a cavern)! Started Drylocking the cinderblocks. Went down the next day, and alot of the pinholes were STILL wet. Just so ya know...I will be putting down 6mill plastic and stone. And eventually, new insulation. I holding off on these remaining steps, because I dont want the new insulation to get wet. Also don't know if I should put the plastic and stone down on top of the wet dirt? Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-08, 08:05 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
It will never dry out tell you get the VB down. If RH stays above 55% you will need a dehumidifier.

Old 08-15-08, 09:12 AM
J
Airman, Thanks for the response! Two questions for ya...What is VB? And does RH stand for Relative Humidity, and how do you figure out the % of the humidity? Sorry one more question..Do I run the humidifier 24/7?

Old 08-15-08, 10:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
VB = vapor barrier.

RH is relative humidity and you can buy a humidistat to measure it. How much you need to run the dehumidifier will depened on where the RH is.

Old 08-15-08, 12:31 PM
J
Mitch, Thanks man. Could I buy one of these humidistat's from like a Home Depot? And would a regular dehumidafier such as one you'd use in your home work? Thanks again!

Old 08-15-08, 01:57 PM
You will have to get a dehumidifier that is made for low temp operation. Off the shelf cheap dehumidifiers don't like temps below 70. Radio shack sells a remote humidity gage. You can put the base upstairs and the sensor can be in the crawl.

Old 08-15-08, 02:55 PM
J
Airman- Been googling dehumidifiers and yea looks like I'm gonna need one of these heavy duty ones. Boy there not cheap either...the one I was looking at the Santa Fe Advance was like $1600..!

Old 08-15-08, 09:17 PM
No there not cheap but the best on the market. Will last years and years where the cheap ones average 5. Will cost a lot less to run and will remove tons of RH.