Attic vent installation question

Old 08-17-08, 12:20 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic vent installation question

My house was built in 1976. The roof line runs north/south with a rectangular gable vent on the north and south side. There are no roof vents or soffit vents. I'd like to try to do this without cutting soffit vents unless I absolutely have to because of a fear of ladders and heights although I have no problems climbing on the roof. I know...kinda weird.

Anyway, with the existing gable vents, can I just install some attic vents to vent out the hot air? What kind would you suggest? The dimensions of the attic are about 25x25X5

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-08, 04:03 AM
J
The experts say that soffit/ridge vents are the best way to vent an attic. That said, gable vents allow air to flow thru but leave hot spots. The only system I can think of that does not involve a ladder is installing a thermostatically controlled fan in one gable end. That will draw air thru when things warm up. Adding soffit vents may reduce hot spots by providing a source of cooler air, but usually requires a ladder. A ridge vent without soffit vents does not accomplish much. But it can provide a continuous exit for warm air.

Old 08-19-08, 11:17 AM
F
Thanks for the tip JustBill. Since my house runs north/south, would I be correct to install the attic fan in the south end of the house or does it matter? On the north end, I'd be working on my roof. On the south end I'd be on a ladder. Yikes. Based upon my attic dimensions, I'll probably want a relatively small fan, right? I only have 625 sq ft.

Last edited by fquan59; 08-19-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-19-08, 03:39 PM
J
Fan in the south, draws in cooler air from the north side. Not sure they make one that small, but with a thermostat control it will only run as long as is needed.

My suggestion would be passive vents like a "Whirley Bird", but a ladder needed as it goes in from the top of the roof.

Old 08-19-08, 07:05 PM
F
JustBill, a whirlybird is something that my wife and I have talked about. Can you recommend how many I might need? I don't mind using a ladder to get to the roof. It's when I have to be on a ladder to do stuff like install soffit vents that I get really nervous especially since the soffit is 1.5 stories off the ground. If I'm standing on the roof, there's no problem because it's pretty solid. Thanks again.