Removing Wall Without Removing Suspended Ceiling

Old 08-20-08, 07:23 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Wall Without Removing Suspended Ceiling

Hi,

I'm planning to (cheaply!) renovate my basement, which is finished, and need advice on how (if at all) I can remove a small wall (made of fake/plywood wood paneling) without having to remove all or part of the suspended ceiling that is partially attached to this wall. My plan is to prime and paint the wood paneling, install new lighting (track), and buy new designer ceiling panels. Is there a way for me to "cut" out this wall?

Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-08, 03:08 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'd have to tie up the ends of every main T-channel so that when you remove the wall and L-angle, the bulk of the ceiling will still be hanging. Any cross-t resting on the L-angle, and the perimeter drop ceiling tiles that get removed, won't be hard to refit later. At least the main body of the entire drop ceiling grid will still be hanging up there.

Old 08-21-08, 12:09 PM
T
Excellent,

Thank you.

Terry

Old 08-21-08, 02:51 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have any more questions at all, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

Not long ago I had to rebuild a good share of a drop ceiling when a tv camerman went up there to get a birdseye view of an event, and crashed right through. He twisted the grid up like you would not believe. Lucky he did not get hurt or killed when he landed on the counter below. The ceiling tiles are those vinyl coated heavy sheetrock type ones, too. Lucky people working down below him did not get hurt, either, as they would have if just one of those panels caught someone the right way.