Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Adding plywood/particleboard for storage to Garage Attic with insulation

Old 08-24-08, 11:58 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm in a newly constructed home in Phoenix and would like to add plywood/particleboard on the attic floor of our garage for storage of Christmas items. We opted to have the garage insulated (Walls, ceiling, door itself already was) in effort to keep the garage a little cooler and there's about 8-12 inches of blown insulation in the garage ceiling above the sheetrock ceiling. Due to the insulation, if we put plywood or particle board down it will compress the insulation down between the 4" ceiling joists.

This is unless i raise the plywood floor up somewhat (using other 2x4s, etc on top of the ceiling joists). I'm thinking of just going ahead and putting the plywood over the insulation and screwing it to the joists without raising it. I know i'll loose R-value if i do this. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Koolman in Phoenix

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-08, 03:33 PM
J
Yes, do not compress the insulation, add what is needed to raise the floor above the insulation. You need all the insulation you can get to keep out the heat. NEVER use particle board. OSB is OK, as is plywood.

Old 08-25-08, 03:57 PM
T
The other reason not to compress the insulation is that you may blow the drywall off the ceiling. You can easily run some 2x4's on edge across the existing ceiling rafters and then sheet with OSB or Plywood.
Taking the extra effort always pay off.
Thanks for listening.

Old 08-25-08, 07:16 PM
K
Thanks for the input Bill and DIYguy! Both good points. Yeah i really meant OSB board. So here's what i understand (crude drawing) on how to lay the 2x4s:

++++++++++++++++++++ Plywood or OSB
| | | |
| | | | New 2 x 4's (on end @ 90 degrees)

Koolman in Phoenix