Attic joist reinforcement

Old 08-27-08, 10:41 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic joist reinforcement

Greetings:

I'm new to this forum and am hoping to get some feedback on this.

I have a little workingman's victorian and want to finish off the main part of the attic for the kids. I've got a bunch of questions but the first one is this.

The attic floor joists are *true* 2x6 16" oc, hem-fire or something close to it and the existing flooring is 12" x 1" pine planks, screwed to the joists. The longest span is 13-0. I know what the building inspectors might say, but I really don't want to sister the joists and I don't think I need to. According to the NJ Rehabilitation Subcode for older buildings I only have to make L/120 for deflection.

I'd still like to stiffen the floor to eliminate bouncing and was thinking of dropping 2x6 queen posts from the rafters to some of the joists and then tying these into a strongback running about 1/3 along the 13-0 span. Can anyone comment? Does this sound like it will work? Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-08, 03:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Everything sounded good until you said NJ. You live in major liberal regulationville. You can't change your mind without an inspector. I bow to some of our local NJ-ites, Dennis, Harold, etc.