soundproof interior door with glass?

Old 08-29-08, 02:01 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
soundproof interior door with glass?

Hi, everyone,

I have been enjoying these forums for a long time, but this is my first post.

I'm building two bedrooms in the basement, which will be separated by an insulated (soundproofed) 2x6 wall. We're installing a code-compliant egress window in the smaller bedroom but don't really have that option for the master, so as a "compromise" we were thinking about installing a door between the rooms--right there next to the window. This would allow relatively easy access to the egress window for the second bedroom.

We'd also like to have some way to let a little bit of light from the egress window into the master bedroom--a bit of glass near the top of the door? some kind of interior window? glass blocks? I don't know.

The best thing I've been able to come up with is a narrow exterior solid-core door with maybe a single pane of glass in it.

What I'm concerned about is how much this will compromise the soundproofing of the wall. Is this going to make all that weaved batting in the 2x6 wall useless?

Are there any other solutions I'm not thinking of?

I need:

1) access between rooms
2) soundproofing (as much as possible)
3) a little bit of light passing through the wall

Thanks!

Christopher

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-08, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
red,
No code expert, but I don't think that will fly. If its a sleeping area in a basement, it has to have its own egress. Inspectors don't compromise very often, esp not on big things.

If you figure out a way for the egress, I'd say maybe a couple of block or frosted fixed double pane laminated windows high up in the wall itself. Did that for a woman building a custom home. She put them between her bedroom and bath. Privacy plus light.

Old 08-30-08, 05:16 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, gunguy.

Actually, there will be no permits or inspectors involved--none required. We've thought long and hard for months about an almost impossible situation, and we've decided we'll be doing this setup with the door, as I described before. If anyone has any advice on what sort of door we can get that's pretty good at blocking sound but will let a little light in, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Cheers!

Christopher