SHould we check it out?

Old 09-04-08, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SHould we check it out?

My wife and I have just moved into our first house and we are kinda wondering about this creek when we walk through the living room. It is in one spot and it feels like it gives but when I kinda bounce it doesn't feel too bad?

I can't get under there right now as we are dealing with a lot of rain, but can anyone tell me what I might look for before I go under?

Any help appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Could be lots of things. I presume crawlspace since you said "get under there". Could be a cracked joist if its solid wood, as opposed to "I" beam type Silent Joist. Could be a loose piece of underlay pulled away from the joist. When you step on it, it gives til it hits the joist, then feels solid.

What kind of flooring? Hardwood, laminate, carpet? If either of the first 2, could there be a buckle in that area?

You'll probably see it as soon as you crawl to that spot. Have yer wife walk back and forth across it while yer under. May have to move and repair insulation and vapor barrier.

Just some laymans suggestions.

Old 09-07-08, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well it is hardwood but carpeted over. and it seems to be just in one area. Yes, I meant going unuder the house...I will look and see as soon as possible.