Basement wall & electric box

Old 09-09-08, 07:40 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement wall & electric box

Hello,

I'm finishing my basement and will likely have several questions. Here's the first.

I plan to run a wall that's set off from the back block wall just far enough to clear the sump pump, maybe 24"-30" or so. This wall is also the wall that has the phone box, the cable wiring and the electric box on it. This space will be accessible from the storage (unfinished) side of the basement.

I've been told that code requires a minimum of 36" of space from the face of the electric box. Is this true? I'd rather not give up another foot in my room. 24"-30" is fairly narrow, but it should be OK I think for the number of times you'd need to get back there.

I've also been told that placing a door in front of the panel is an acceptable alternative. That door will be right where I want the TV to go, but that's a better alternative than pushing the whole wall out.

Old 09-09-08, 07:49 AM
P
36" accessiblility is true...

Having 36" in front of panel is true. Are you pulling a permit for this. The reason I ask is that each building inspector is a little different and some may allow some wiggle room on the 36" or suggest some alternatives. In my case, the electrical inspector was very helpful and would suggest some solutions to your problem. If the door lines up with the panel...that may be sufficient. But it does not hurt to ask.

Handyguy Paul

Old 09-09-08, 09:32 AM
S
I'm looking into the permitting process, it sounds painful but I might have to.

So, it sounds like the 36" isn't a free and clear all the time standard, it's more of an access issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: