Basement Ceiling Options

Old 09-09-08, 10:25 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Basement Ceiling Options

I'm in the process of remodeling our basement. I already have drywall on the ceiling, and then noticed our 2 kids (both over 6' & @200 lbs. each) caused the ceiling to heave when they walked across the floor. If I mud, I'm pretty sure I'm looking at constant cracks.
Any cheap coverings I could consider? I was thinking of sealing and painting then putting linoleum up, but not sure of the sticking power of an adhesive.
Help?

Old 09-09-08, 10:37 AM
C
I don't think linoleum would be an option for a ceiling. How about a drop-ceiling?

Old 09-10-08, 05:04 AM
Z
It had a drop in it, but the tall kids didn't fit well. That's part of the reason for the remodeling. Thanks

Old 09-10-08, 12:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 426 Votes on 381 Posts
Are your floor joists adequate?

Old 09-12-08, 04:30 PM
Z
2 X 6 on 16" centers. Built in the early '70's. Spans @ 11'. They move most noticably when the kids bounce, which being teenagers, it's hard to make them stop.

Old 09-13-08, 04:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 426 Votes on 381 Posts
Were there no codes [or enforcement] when the house was built?
Your joists are under sized!! I doubt any fix will work that doesn't including tearing out your new drywall ceiling

The floor joists should be 2x8 or larger but if you sister another 2x6 with each of your existing floor joists, that may stiffen them up enough.

Old 09-13-08, 06:13 AM
R
You sure there not 2x8's ? I cant imagine 2x6's even in an older home.
Is there any bridgeing between the joists ? That would help strengthen it up somewhat.

If the drywall wasnt up or if you want to take it down then I would suggest putting some bridgeing in if you dont want to sister in bigger joists and then use metal resilient channeling on the ceiling then re-drywall it again.

They come in 12 ft lengths and you would screw it to the ceiling joists in the opposite direction of the way they run.There 3/8''- 1/2 '' thick like a u channel. You can go 12 '' center's or up to 16 '' max when you install them.
You would use 1 5/8'' coarse screws to screw the channeling on and use 1 inch fine threaded screws for screwing the drywall to it. We use alot of Resilient Channeling when doing regular stick framed or trussed ceiling's and basement ceilings because of vibrations and in cases of movement. You get a straighter ceiling also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: