An Attic Mess

Old 09-17-08, 12:55 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An Attic Mess

Here's a unique problem I've run across.
I'm currently renting a house in Arkansas, where rental rights are at an all time low. Basically, i've accepted the house in its current condition, and that includes a very scary attic space.

The house is older, victorian meets craftsman style, and has been moved a block in the past few years (actually lifted off its foundation and driven to its current site). The attic is absolutely enormous, with enormous problems to do with it.

Once you're in the attic, you're standing knee deep in... something. I'm guessing it's a cellulose insulation, due to the multitude of random 1/4" holes in the floor and low on the walls (incorrectly done, if that's the case, like all the new carpentry in the house) It's not packed, it's not settled, and i fear it might be composting. It looks like uneven heaps of dark brown sawdust. One of the windows in the attic is broken, and the roof may leak, and the heat, and smell, up there is suffocating. Before i replace the window, i need to know what to do with this crap. I'd hate to seal off the only source of air flow to let the heat build up.

The landlady has no idea what the attic looks like, and hasn't fixed anything yet, so i'm more likely to be the one trying to fix the problem before this stuff self-combusts. My best instinct is to get up there with bags and a snowshovel and toss it into HER dumpster, but i was wondering if anyone else had any bright ideas.

Thoughts? Explanations?

Old 09-17-08, 01:35 AM
T
Call the local Building Inspector to assure that you are living in safe housing.

Old 09-17-08, 04:38 AM
fix the window, then go to the oak ridge nat'l lab web site and check out the post's on attic heating and roofing breakdowns it if good info on attic ventilation.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 09-18-08, 04:28 AM
T
do not go to the inspectors THIS IS NOT YOUR HOUSE remember you are renting. if you do not know what cellulose looks like have your landlord fix the window and stay out of the attic! seems pritty simple to me.remember you are using her house for a cost she is responsible for repairs, if you do them without her o.k. you could be out the money. do not remove the insulation, you may have to pay to have it put back.

Old 09-20-08, 01:06 AM
A
in Arkansas, the renting laws say we accept the house as is, including all problems and all repairs. I left her a voice message today, explaining that the attic was composting, producing its own heat, and was a fire-safety issue, and we'd be willing to talk about options. However, i described what the insulation looked like to a friend, and he thinks it might be asbestos, which requires a haz-mat team to inspect. I'll probably don gloves and a mask, and snag a sample to give the chemists at the college to analyze, but, it needs to be cleaned up. Such a beautiful attic space, and absolutely useless in its current state.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: