crawl space insulation

Old 09-26-08, 06:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
crawl space insulation

looking for advice, i have a split level home that sits on a 3 foot crawl space on one side and a finished basement on the other side. the crawl space is open to the finished basement but not ventilated to the outside. there are utilities in the crawl space such as a gas furnace and well extrol tank. there is a finished concrete floor through out the basement with average moisture, more so in the humid summer months. i plan to drylok the crawl space in the next few weeks and then to insulate before the winter. my question is should i insulate the floor above the crawl space or the concrete walls of the foundation. i have looked at several options and most look good but seem to contradict one another. i am down to insulating just the walls with closed cell foam with an r-13 value, or the ceiling with faced batt fiberglass insulation with an r-25. any tips or other suggestions are more than welcome, thanks-

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-08, 07:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You are going to get opposing views here, as well, so here goes. If you encapsulate the walls, what will you do with the inherent moisture in the crawlspace? Here, in the South, we are required to use foundation vents to ventilate the crawlspace and allow fresh air to move throughout and eliminate the moisture passively. You can insulate all you want, but until you figure out what you will do with the moisture, you will be fighting a losing battle. OK, Airman, you're up!!

Old 09-27-08, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i am thinking about applying dow thermax sheathing in the crawl space area. i do plan to refinish the basement part. the previous owners put down a cheap laminate floor with moisture barrier, looks like maybe 3 mil plastic w/foam pad. also they had a ferrit jungle gym down there with 3 ferrits that probably peed on the floor as well. i have ripped out all the old fiberglass insulation from the crawl space and i installed underground leader drains outside that take the rain water about 40 feet from the house. due to the year of the house, the outside foundation was never tared or had a membrane applied. also there is no footing drain. the one good thing they did use was coarse septic gravel around the foundation so i have great drainage. i have recently had up to 4 inches of rain in one day and there are no visible signs of moisture coming through the walls, so i don't think my situation is too bad. also there is no heat in the basement. my furnace is in the crawl space but there are no vents that condition the air. maybe i should add a vent from one of the branches. lastly i do run a dehumidifier all year long. i keep it on normal setting. someone once told me running it on extreme moisture setting could actually pull excess moisture through the foundation walls. i live in connecticut so i see both extremes on the thermometer. any other advice?