Drywall hanging in basement, near concrete floor

Old 10-07-08, 02:56 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall hanging in basement, near concrete floor

I am in the process of getting drywall hung and I noticed certain sections are either very near or a very tiny gap betwen the concrete floor and the drywall and some it looks like it is actually touching... Someone mentioned the drywall should not be near the floor because of moisture. Should I bring this up to the installers? If this is an issue, how can they fix? AWWWWWWWWWW!

Old 10-07-08, 05:13 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Yes it should be at least 1/2 inch off floor, 3/4 is best. They should no this tell them about it and watch every thing they do because it sounds like you have some jack legs doing the work. This is part of a basic install job and they should no better.

Old 10-07-08, 06:28 PM
D
Oh great.... What should they or could they do now? Should I have them cut it for the ones that are already hung to make sure it is a half inche from the ground?

Well the guys that are doing it was recommended and is a friend of my brother in law. He actually hung and finished his drywall so. I hope they are not what you called them

Old 10-07-08, 07:31 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
They can be cut in place very easy.

Old 10-07-08, 09:00 PM
D
Well I am lucky cause there are still 2 rooms that still need to be finished.

What else should I watch for? Everything else looks ok... MR board installed in the bath. The cutouts around the electrical outlets, etc look good.

Old 10-09-08, 11:58 AM
D
Ok, just talked to the contractor and he said he will cut the ones that were hung at least a half inch form the floor. Also, all new ones they hang will be a half inch.

He did bring up a interesting fact. He said the pressure treated plate on the concrete has moisture within and the drywall is attached to that... Hmmmmm, never though of that....

Old 10-09-08, 12:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
Yes, but the PT will dry out over time and the drywall won't wick much moisture from the bottom plate. The main reason to keep the drywall off of the floor is incase a liquid gets spilled or you have any type of water leak.As long as the drywall is above any standing water - it won't obsorb enough moisture to be a problem.

Old 10-09-08, 04:06 PM
D
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Yes, but the PT will dry out over time and the drywall won't wick much moisture from the bottom plate. The main reason to keep the drywall off of the floor is incase a liquid gets spilled or you have any type of water leak.As long as the drywall is above any standing water - it won't obsorb enough moisture to be a problem.
Thanks Marksr,

He just did another room and other hallway and is at least a half inch if not 3 quarters from the floor. He will also cut the other ones that he put up at least a half! Coming out great!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: