Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Below level basement - Installing laminate, can I use OSB

Below level basement - Installing laminate, can I use OSB

Old 10-11-08, 07:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Below level basement - Installing laminate, can I use OSB

Getting ready to install laminate I bought from Costco, however I want to place first either dri-core or plywood on the concrete floor to cut the chill out of the concrete.

Looked at the dri-core, I need about 122 pieces for my project, this would cost me about $765 just for the dri-core.

If I use OSB plywood (half inch) it would be about 15 plywood pieces with a total of about $126.

My friend tells me OSB should be just fine but to place a plastic vapor barrier right on the concrete floor before laying down the plywood. However, at the same time he's worried about mold getting formed between the concrete and the plastic vapor barrier.
My basement doesn't have heat but I finished the walls using the pink FOAMULAR 250 rigid foam insulation and also R13 batts between the 2x4 studs. It is well insulated.

I need some advice please on the mold concern, is it best to use the vapor barrier between the concrete floor and the OSB board?

I really like the dri-core concept and ease of installation, but it is quite pricey....

I need to make decision this weekend.

My basement doesn't get water in.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-08, 07:35 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes the VB could cause mold and OSB will root years down the road or get moldy

Old 10-12-08, 08:21 AM
I'm looking for advice, what should I do, should I:

1.take the plunge and get the expensive dri-core as this would be the BEST underlayment against the concrete (with NO plastic vapor barrier) and then install the padding between the dri-core and the laminate....this implies dri-core is the BEST alternative.

2.install the OSB plywood but without the plastic vapor barrier on the concrete

3.install the OSB plywood WITH the plastic vapor barrier on the concrete and keep my fingers crossed

4,forget about dri-core and plywood, just install a good and expensive padding on the concret and just lay my laminate on top.

NOTE: the laminate I bought already has some sort of padding in the back.

Opinions, advices PLEASE..............!!!!

Old 10-13-08, 11:13 AM
is my best option here to buy the 3 in 1 more expensive underlayment padding (about $60 in HD for a 100sq.ft. roll) and just install this right on the concrete and then just lay down my laminate on top.

Any of the experts here agree this would be a very good solution (knowing my basement is dry) and this will serve as both a good vapor barrier and insulation ??

any comments..............

Old 10-13-08, 05:14 PM
geek, i think the dricore option is the best for any basement situation. even though your basement is dry, you still have moisture issues, as all concrete does. the concrete floors in your basement are porous thus leading to moisture seeping through in changing temps. i myself live in ct and know how humid it can be in the summer time. especially in the basement. you really need some airflow between the concrete and finished floor to avoid problems down the road. take a piece of .6 mil plastic and tape all four sides to the floor. remove the plastic in a few days and you are sure to see some moisture. now imagine that under your plastic moisture barrier. another new product is the barricade ovrx subfloor system, expensive but check it out. just remember is it worth it to spend the money only once or save a few dollars and do it a few times . also you get atleast an r-value of 3 with the dricore. good luck

Old 10-13-08, 06:22 PM
I don't think I'd ever put laminate below grade. I know I wouldn't put OSB near the floor as is can swell and disintegrate when wet. Even a guaranteed dry basement is vulnerable. I did a full besement remodel in a previous home and spent $3K on nice carpet and pad, After i sold the home we heard the city sewer had backed up and overwhelmed the floor drain in the utility room putting 6 inches of sewage over that nice carpet.

This time around I'm using an indoor/outdoor berber glue down. Tile is another choice.

Given your options I'd definitely use the dricor but I'd want it to drain to a french drain.

Not what you want but that's my advice, I'd never want to be able to say "told you so."

Old 10-15-08, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by njmeder View Post
geek, i think the dricore option is the best for any basement situation. even though your basement is dry, you still have moisture issues, as all concrete does. the concrete floors in your basement are porous thus leading to moisture seeping through in changing temps. i myself live in ct and know how humid it can be in the summer time. especially in the basement. you really need some airflow between the concrete and finished floor to avoid problems down the road. take a piece of .6 mil plastic and tape all four sides to the floor. remove the plastic in a few days and you are sure to see some moisture. now imagine that under your plastic moisture barrier. another new product is the barricade ovrx subfloor system, expensive but check it out. just remember is it worth it to spend the money only once or save a few dollars and do it a few times . also you get atleast an r-value of 3 with the dricore. good luck
would the concrete floor be porous even though I had applied that paint they sell at HD for garage floors?

sounds like dricore is the consensus......I really like the dricore concept......only reason I was feeling skeptical about it was because it would be pricey, over $750 just for the dricore.

Old 10-15-08, 04:37 PM
understandibly the dricor is a turn off because of the price, but worth it in the long run. as for sealing the concrete, yes you'll keep water from penetrating the floor, but it also doesn't let it breathe. the rep. told me sealing the floor and then installing the subfloor can create a reverse effect. if moisture is present in the air it has no way to escape. (i.e. through the pours)obviously a dehumidifier would solve most of this problem. not sure if anyone else has ever heard of this. another opinion would be great. if it were me, i would still install the dricor and then continue as planned. hope this helped you not hurt you!

Old 10-15-08, 04:59 PM
yeah, it is the price that makes it tough......

guess I will have to take the plunge and spend the $750 in the dricor just to have piece of mind in the long run.......

Old 11-03-08, 08:44 AM
I had to make the same decision for my basement subfloor a couple months ago. I also looked at the Dri-Core but it was way too expensive. I went with Platon followed by 5/8 T&G OSB fastened down with Tapcons. The Platon is a dimpled plastic material (almost the same as the Dri-Core backing) designed as a foundation wrap but can also be used for basement floors (System Platon - Flooring). Its more labour intensive than Dri-Core but a lot cheaper.

Old 11-03-08, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Kamadake View Post
I had to make the same decision for my basement subfloor a couple months ago. I also looked at the Dri-Core but it was way too expensive. I went with Platon followed by 5/8 T&G OSB fastened down with Tapcons. The Platon is a dimpled plastic material (almost the same as the Dri-Core backing) designed as a foundation wrap but can also be used for basement floors (System Platon - Flooring). Its more labour intensive than Dri-Core but a lot cheaper.
is the Platon like a soft rubber plastic or hard rubber plastic?
How much did you pay?
is it by rolls?

I don't think you can find this at the local HD stores, right?

I had called the harmonics-flooring.com manufacturer company for my laminate and they recommended using a 6mil vapor barrier on the concrete floor and just lay down the laminate right on top of it, nothing else to preserve guarantee.
Doin this I can imagine the laminate floor will be cold anyways....(it has some backing)
thanks.

Old 11-04-08, 11:48 AM
It's a hard plastic like the same material on the back of the Dri-Core panels, but the dimples are round and closers together. It comes in a 5 or 6 foot wide roll. I'm in Canada, but I got it from Home Depot for around $120 a roll (I think 66.7 feet to a roll but I can't remember). It's not located in the flooring section of the store, you have to go to the foundation aisle.

I've also laid laminate in basements for other people using a two-in-one underlay, that has a vapour barrier layer follwed by the underlay material.