Too hot in Basement Room

Old 10-14-08, 10:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Too hot in Basement Room

I have a room in my basement that has walls made of cement up to the main floor. There is no window and the room has a bulkhead with a heating duct in the ceiling. Im finding the room gets too warm even if I try to shut off the vent, the bulk head radiates heat into the room, the room is close to the furnace unfortunately the duct gets more heat that the other ducts. I could put an egress window in but unfortunately my weeping tile and the main electrical runs beside the house which in relation to the room it would run at the very top of the ceiling.

I've heard of power foundation vents but have never seen them. Is there such a fan that I can put it in the rooms outside wall to both exhaust and bring the air in to the room. Obviously I would close up the heating vent.

Any other solutions?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-08, 05:52 PM
you don't want to loose that energy by just adding cold air from outside, what you want to do is insulate that duct pipe with a product made for that. if it is square you can buy rigid foil lined fiberglas that tapes together. if it is round there is a foil lined flexible fiberglass strip that winds around like a candy cane and gets taped. It goes foil side out.

That will keep that heat from radiating into the room but will not loose the heat altogether.

Old 10-14-08, 05:58 PM
edit: looks like you can get a variety of types of duct insulation, just google it to get the idea.

Old 10-20-08, 01:31 PM
Beer 4U2 I have since decided to shut off the heating duct and use a rigid foam insulation around the bulkhead. Im leaning for 2" blue SM, is this overkill or should i use 1". I am also wondering if these rigid foams (pink and blue) are safe indoors.