Want to get bigger beam span in basement

Old 10-15-08, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to get bigger beam span in basement

I'm currently fixing up my basement and have a 3 1/2 " X 9 1/2" LVL beam the runs down the center of my home. My house is 30" wide and there are two posts that are 7' 6" apart, that I would like to either move farther apart by posssibly piggy backing another LVL or steel beam next to it, to get those posts further apart. Any idea's that may help?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-08, 06:34 AM
I have a perfect suggestion: consult a structural engineer. While this could be a DIY project, running the numbers should be done by a pro. It's not just the basement but the entire home you put at risk if you get this wrong. If it's not worth the money to get a professional opinion, then just go with what you've got and make the best of it. Hide them in walls or make them look good. Rome managed to make things look classy even with a bunch of posts holding the roof up!

Old 10-20-08, 01:38 PM
a few ideas:

1) run a steel beam across without any posts. judging by the house dimensions, you could probably get a 10" beam to make that span which would maintain current headroom.

2) you could probably get down to one post at midspan if you add another LVL to the exist. beam. keep in mid you would need to dig up your conc. floor and pour a new footing for it.

in either case you would assuredly need to consult a pro to run the numbers for you so you don't end up out of pocket.