Should I sheetrock the stairs below...

Old 10-28-08, 07:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I sheetrock the stairs below...

Hello,

I had a closet made for under the stairs in the basement. The walls were sheetrocked but the person who is sheetrocking suggested not to sheetrock the steps in the closet because he said if i had any problems with the stairs, since they are 21 yrs old, it would be harder to remove the sheetrock etc. Also since it is in a closet you really can't see. He suggested painting it...

Should I have him sheetrock it and risk if i have any issues with the stairs or should i not and just paint them?

Thanks

Old 10-29-08, 04:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Drywall will give a cleaner look but the door will probably be closed most of the time anyway. If the stairs give any, they could cause nail/screw pops and such.

I'd probably wouldn't drywall it [unless the boss instructed otherwise and threatened to put me on a diet] , - - but it's more personal choice than anything.

Old 10-29-08, 06:19 AM
here in cincy, they have a code admendment that requires us to put a double layer of drywall on the underside of the stairs to meet some sort of a fire requirement. don't ask me to explain that one because it still baffles me to this day.

Old 10-29-08, 09:07 AM
D
Hey guys,

Thanks for your input. I was going to paint them to make it look better plus, I was looking, i think you can actually store things higher since the spaces under the steps won't be enclosed? Also, I have 2 pieces of 4x12 sheetrock left over that i was going to have them hang on the other side of the storage area so, if I used one sheet under the step, there would be less to use in the unfinished area.

Hmmm, i might look in to the code also but hopefully that won't be an issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: