Removal of old broken down attic insulation

Old 11-03-08, 06:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removal of old broken down attic insulation

My wife and i just bought an old fixer-upper that was built in the mid 50s. When I looked up in the attic I noticed what has to be old totally decomposed insulation, broken down to the point where it just looks like piles of dusty dirt. And there is A LOT of it. It seems like it would take forever with an ordinary shop vac because it would fill up in no time. I tried searching for industrial vacuum rentals in the Denver area, ya know like something with a really long hose/big tank, but couldn't find anything. Anybody have any ideas? And what are the chances this stuff, whatever it is/was, has asbestos in it?

Thanks so much for any replies!

Moch68

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-08, 03:26 PM
No one wants to reply, so here goes. There are probably super vacs out there that will likely do what you want, but they also will be quite expensive to rent. Unfortunately, the usual method is pack it in bags and throw it down the attic steps.

Once that is done, add new backed insulation(vapor barrier to the heated side) up to the top of the joists. Then run another layer perpendicular, to a depth of at least 12", depends on your locale. This will usually get spots that were missed on the first pass. Be sure to insulate the attic hatch/access, and do not cover any ventilation openings.

Old 11-04-08, 03:39 PM
Dont remove the old insulation. If its cold, get some more blown in through a new roof vent. Problem solved.

Old 11-04-08, 04:16 PM
I agree. Put on a good quality mask and add insulation over it rather than disturb it. Even bad/old insulation has some r-value.