ridge vent and no soffit vents?

Old 11-10-08, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ridge vent and no soffit vents?

Recently had an "energy audit" performed on my 60's Ranch home. Asked the contractor about the fact that the house has a ridge vent and NO soffit vents and whether or not this was right.
He told me that the ridge vent I have is adequate ventilation for an attic of this size and actually did some calculations to show that the ridge vent is actually biggger than needed.

I had done some reading on my own and was under the impression that a ridge vent is meant to work WITH soffit vents and you would get NO airflow without them?

I'm about to get some insulation work done on the house, most likely blown-in cellulose but not sure if I should push back on the no soffit vents issue?

Old 11-10-08, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
This thread (the second post) had some good diagrams with the way diff vent systems work under diff conditions. The links seem to be down right now, so I can't tell you which one it was. Very informative though.

http://forum.doityourself.com/roofin...ntilation.html

Soffit venting would be a big improvement/addition to what you have now. No gable vents either I assume?

Old 11-10-08, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
actually there are gable vents on each end of the attic.
I'm thinking that the ridge vent is somewhat recent, being that the roof was redone just a few years before I purchased the house. Betting that before that there were only gable vents...ridge was added by the roofer.

Old 11-10-08, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Soffit vents would probably be an improvement, but if you can't put them in for some reason (I can't, without a ton of work, due to the design of the house here), I don't think it's that big an issue. Check those links in the other post, they may be back up later. Worked fine yesterday.

Always better to have more intake than exhaust. The other way around is bad, can cause a negative pressure in the house and cause other issues.

btw...they are working now...take a look at the last link in the post.

Old 11-10-08, 10:51 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Kleetuss, It somewhat depends upon where you are. Down south it's heat, up north it's ice. I live in ICE country and a ridge vent, even with gable vents, won't do it, no matter how big they are. Down south, the effects are less dramatic, no ice dams flooding your house, but the heat build up will be more than it should be.
I don't know what your soffits look like or if you even have any, but they do make some unique drip edges that provide venting. I've even seen one house with low gable end vents ducted to vent air into the attic just above the soffits.
My 2 cents
Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: