Insulation in the basement 'ceiling', remove?

Old 11-15-08, 12:09 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulation in the basement 'ceiling', remove?

I am almost done finishing the basement and have a question about the insulation I have up in the basement 'celing' between the floor joists. There is R11 faced batt insulation up there with the faced 'vapor barrier' facing the upstairs floor. The insulation is 'exposed' but willbe covered by the suspended ceiling. My question is should I remove that insulation? Leave it there and produce some a sound barrier? The basement will now be heated so the insualtion would prevent the heat to rise?

I would rather leave it there because I know it wil be a mess to pull all of that down. I havent started painting yet so I need to make a choice before I do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-15-08, 12:48 PM
T
If you have properly installed insulation in basement ceiling, don't even think about removal, especially if you are located in a cold climate. Are ductwork and hot-water pipes that are below the ceiling insulated? Is the basement door weatherstripped? These areas are of primary concern when it comes to energy conservation.

Because basement walls are more connected to the outdoors than basement ceiling, most research tends to focus on insulation of basement walls: EERE Consumer's Guide: Basement Insulation

I trust that this is a Permitted job with permits from local Building Inspector with submitted plans and all permits issued and required inspections done. Savvy home buyers go the Building Inspector to see what permits were issued. I've read internet forum posts where unpermitted basement finishing projects had to be torn out to sell because they did not meet codes.

Old 11-15-08, 02:26 PM
D
What has my question of pulling down insulation have you questioning me about if I took a permit out or not? That was NOT my question....

Old 11-15-08, 02:42 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Insulation does very little in a basement! It will help for sound. I don't know why you would remove it!

Old 11-15-08, 02:54 PM
D
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
Insulation does very little in a basement! It will help for sound. I don't know why you would remove it!
I was just thinking because the batting is facing the basement and if you hit it or if it falls, the insulation particles start to fly around...

Old 11-15-08, 03:01 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You said you will put up a drop ceiling! I would not worry about it!

Old 11-15-08, 03:04 PM
D
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
You said you will put up a drop ceiling! I would not worry about it!
True Sounds good.. THANKS Airman!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: