Fire rated attic access door

Old 11-17-08, 11:25 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fire rated attic access door

We have a house with an attached garage. We are putting an attic access door in the ceiling of the garage so that we can service the furnace if need be. According to the fire code of the city, the door must be AT LEAST 20 minute fire rated, be self-closing, and self-latching. Seeing as no one makes these, we have to make our own. So far we have a 1 3/8" thick solid core door (city said that is the fire rating thickness) with a couple of spring hinges on it. The door itself weighs about 30lbs. Obviously the hinges don't bring the door up. We have also tried a normal door closer but it is still not strong enough. Does anyone know about any type of product that can be used to close this door flush with the ceiling? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have been trying for 3 weeks.

Old 11-17-08, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
How the heck can they require something that isn't made?

That sounds like the code for the door between the attached garage and the dwelling, not the attic access. Have you actually spoken to a codes inspector (not a clerk) on this? Most attic access panels are nothing more than 3/4 plywood with drywall attached or even just drywall or ply alone.

I could be wrong...I know CA is crazy about some things.

Old 11-17-08, 11:41 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Access Door

Go back to your building department. The access door they are talking about is a door between the garage attic and the house attic, not the ceiling access. These are made. I have installed them in the past, but it has been a while.

Old 11-17-08, 11:42 AM
O
We have asked them the same question and they say "We know the codes...not the products." They don't even know of a company name or brand or anything that would be helpful! This was direct from an inspector, not a clerk. The reason for us having to do this is because we are not able to drywall on the firewall in the attic area because we have so many penetrations (HVAC, wiring, etc.) that we cannot get to it.

Old 11-17-08, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
This is really just not making sense...
I'm glad someone else thought the same as me.

Well, I'd go back with hat in hand, and ask if they could tell you someplace that had a similar issue so you could talk to the owner and see what they had.

There are a couple of folks out on the left coast that may be able to give some insight to this. Maybe they'll weigh in.

Uhh I just thought to ask..why are you talking to the permits people anyway? are there other renovations going on as well? Is this a single family home or a condo or something?

Old 11-17-08, 12:18 PM
O
Attn: Doordoctor

This is a single family residence. I am hoping to hear from DOORDOCTOR. I have cruised through the other threads and he is a self proclaimed door closer expert. Maybe this will stump him

Old 11-17-08, 12:40 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Old 11-17-08, 12:50 PM
O
I checked that out and it would work but it is too small. The largest size it comes in is 18"x18". I need at least 24"x30" as per the city. Thanks anyway! And all of their other doors that mount to the ceiling just have a self assist closure on them.

Old 11-25-08, 04:01 PM
O
Talking

ok...just so everyone knows, I did end up finding one. It is made by JL Industries and manufactured by Samson. It is UL listed for the walls but if you want to put it on the ceiling (which we did) it isnt listed. But a company called warnock hersey (which is the same kind of company as UL) has it listed for the ceiling. so as long as the city is ok with that, you should be good!

Old 12-12-08, 10:42 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OCbuilder86
This is a single family residence. I am hoping to hear from DOORDOCTOR. I have cruised through the other threads and he is a self proclaimed door closer expert. Maybe this will stump him

hey, cant believe i found someone looking for me here, sorry folks, drifted away while helping people with computer problems with yahoo and AOL. found this post while searching "door closer" in attempt to see if anyone had problems with them(maybe i should learn to search my own name as well!)

about the closer for attic access door, normally a door closer (arm type) is not seen on an attic access door only piston (screen door type), since you want the rating and keep it closed, have you thought of installing maybe a NORTON 78 B/F or LCN 4000 series closer but set as "parallel arm" so lays flat on the door inside, to make sure it pulls and makes door hit, may want to wind spring tight (not overdo it, might break the spring inside closer) and make latch fast to make sure it can latch the door,

if this door is big enough and still need stength to pull the door to ceiling and latch it, it may be good to go use norton 78 b/f traditional style (reason i recommend them is because norton door controls says they are designed to be able to handle heavy strain and be able to pull the door shut. and the mounting pattern for the 78 b/f is smaller in "footprint" then the LCN 4000 series closers.

sorry if confusing or don't make sense, ocbuilder86, is it possible you can send me a pic of this ceiling access door??

good luck with finding a closer for it, please keep in touch about this door and closer choice or pm me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: