insulating basement header?

Old 12-11-08, 05:57 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My next project will be insulating my basement, but need some input on one point. My joists are poured in place, they are cast in the foundation, not resting on top of it. Several publications I've read ( government of Canada, Manitoba hydro )indicate that if this is the case, that header area should NOT be insulated, but I'm yet to be able to find a reason for this.

What reasons might there be for not insulating in a poured in place joist/foundation?

The house was built in 1944, if I had to guess, I might think it would be because there is likely no gasket material used around the joists when constructed like this, but I'd still be unclear on why the area should not be insulated.

Glenn,
Winnipeg, Canada

Old 12-11-08, 03:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Doesn't the same thing apply to old attics with no ridge vent, that they shouldn't be insulated either? I thought it has something to do with trapping moisture.

Old 12-11-08, 03:44 PM

Pouring concrete around wood (especially structural members) is not permitted in most modern codes. What you have may have been permitted when the house was built.

The idea behind keeping things open reduces the potential for rot/deterioration because of air circulation.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: