which comes first - basement finishing

Old 12-16-08, 08:18 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
which comes first - basement finishing

my basement is raw and i want to redo at least a section of it now. i have a basic question: do i frame the room out first, and then lay the subfloor down within the dimensions of the room, or do i lay the subfloor (link to subfloor below) and then put the frame on top of that?

Cosella Dorken DELTA FL Subfloor for Concrete, Dricore, Dri-Core, Better than Dri-core, basement subfloor

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-08, 09:04 AM
I'd do the framing first. If you have to block up the bottom plate a bit to support the bottom edge of the drywall, that's easy to do. If you consider a 1.5" bottom plate (a 2x4 on it's wide side), 5/8" of DELTA FL, plus at least 1/2" of plywood, you'll have about 3/8" of that bottom plate still above the subfloor that could support the bottom edge of the drywall...which is quite minimal, IMO.

Old 12-16-08, 09:27 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Basement floor

Project Master,

I'd consider doing the floor first if you were contemplating installing pressure treated sleepers, rigid insul and a plywood subloor.

Installing the floor first gives you something to nail your wall plates to and also allows for your bottom sill plate to be used as a nailer for wallboard and baseboard.

regards, Robert Robillard

Old 12-16-08, 09:34 AM
T
If finishing basement, you will need to check with local Building Inspector for permit and required inspections. Codes tend to vary from area to area. Methods and required materials also tend to vary.

Old 12-16-08, 09:46 AM
P
thanks everyone for the help