Water in the crawl space

Old 12-25-08, 10:01 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water in the crawl space

I have a problem with water in the crawl space after heavy rains (or lots of melting snow). The water seems to be entering where the wall and the floor meet, but it also appears to just come up through the floor in spots. My house is in the flood zone, so it could be that the water table just rises to that level. I've had a number of waterpoofing experts (like B-Dry and others) over for an appraisal, but they seem to be primarily interested in selling their system.

How do I know what's the right thing for my crawl space? How can I get an independent, disinterested appraisal? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a very expensive system where just a sump pump might be sufficient. Thanks.

Old 12-25-08, 02:39 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If you have a place to send the water, a sump pump will certainly help. Do you have a dirt or concrete floor down there? If you try a sump pump, dig it in fairly deep and line the hole with crushed rock. The big box stores have a trash can size unit with a cover that works great. By getting it as low as you can, you catch the water before it reaches the surface.

As for the water coming through under your wall, that may take some landscaping or sealing from the outside.

Good Luck
Bud

Old 12-25-08, 02:43 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Make sure gutters and downspouts are clear and carry water away from structure. Downspouts should be connected to drains and empty into dry well. Splash blocks do not carry water far enough away from foundation. Make sure soil slopes away from structure to carry away runoff. If there are slopes around the property that direct runoff toward structure, install drains at the bottom of slopes to catch water before it can reach the structure.

Old 12-29-08, 06:46 AM
C
Here's some links

concerning the proper way of treating a crawl space.

This is from an independent organization: Advanced Energy, based on studies conducted in partnership with Habitat for Humanity.

http://www.crawlspaces.org

This is another independent site on the subject

Crawl Space Guide: Create Home Energy Efficiency & a Healthy Home

Old 12-29-08, 06:55 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: