Stairs - Stud Support? Can I remove??

Old 12-29-08, 05:34 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Stairs - Stud Support? Can I remove??

Hi all, merry xmas!

Okay wonder if someone can help...

Scenario -

UK House.

I wish to open up the area currently under my stairs to maximise on hall / corridor space. However, there is a stud plaster board wall and a wooden post with door to this area (that leads down more stairs to the basement) and i want to know if this post / wall is supporting the stairs, or not, and can i remove this without worry assuming the stairs are sufficiently supported at the very top (by the beam in the ceiling)

I can post images if that would help.

Look forward to hearing from you!

thanks again

John.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-08, 06:11 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi John, images would help. Most stairs are capable of free standing, but it will depend upon what size stringer was used to make them. You may also be able to sister another stringer bahind the side where the support is being removed.

Take a picture and let's see.

Bud

Old 12-29-08, 09:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pix!

okay thanks bud - here are some photos - plse ignore the junk!!!

NB. from the outside corridor wall, it is plaster board but since my first post i have had a good look on the inside, and it seems as if someone has actually used concrete or breeze block to build up on the inside. This seems odd because the only support underneath is a floorboard and the floor beam runs across one side of this concrete, but only supports part of this concrete. secondly, the post stops at the floor beam, but i can't see if the floor beam is supporting this. i will need to get my drill out to see how thick it is.

number 1 - here's the view of the existing door and wall from the corridor - approximately marked is the stair line and where i'd like to cut the wall away to and also marked is the new wall line that will become visible without the wall, and also where the new hatch door will be to the basement.

here you can see the depth of the wall - on the right outer side in blue, if you tap the wall, you can hear the hollowness of the wall but on the left inner side (in red) it seems solid....and i'm not sure how thick this is, but seems unusual?

here is the post looking up inside the door way - to red hatched area to the left of the post it feels rock hard, again i need my drill to check depth and material, probably a mid width concrete block.

I'm guessing it's probably okay to rip the whole lot out

Last edited by johnwright; 12-29-08 at 10:44 AM.