Crawl Space Dehumidifier

Old 01-01-09, 06:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crawl Space Dehumidifier

Any recs for a good, relatively inexpensive dehumidifier for a crawl space for someone on a budget? There are so many options, but I just don't think I can afford a $900+ one.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-09, 07:32 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You will spend allot more than $900 on the cheap ones in energy and replacement of the units because they are in an area they aren't designed for.

Old 01-01-09, 08:29 AM
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Hi Charlotte,
Sometimes it is easier to eliminate the source of the moisture rather than trying to remove it afterwards. For example, a dirt floor crawl space can release gallons of water per day. A 6 mil poly covering, sealed properly to the walls, will eliminate the moisture and no dehumidifier needed. Even a concrete floor down there would give off moisture.

If you know the moisture source and want to discuss controlling it, I'm certain there are suggestions available.

HNY
Bud

Old 01-05-09, 09:45 AM
Bud is correct concerning the elimination of moisture sources.

If you encapsulate and condition your crawl space, depending on where you live and local weather conditions year round, you might not even need a dehumidifier, and can get away with a less expensive crawl space conditioning system.

You make the crawl space part of the internal envelope of the house, by completely isolating it from the ground, sealing vents and lining walls with a sturdy 20mil vapor barrier.

A conditioning system will then provide a consistent air flow from upstairs into the crawl space, keeping it dry.

If you live your crawl space vents open and the floor and walls uncovered, and install a dehumidifier, you will be paying a lot of money to run it and might not achieve the desired results.

As for dehumidifiers, (if you really need one after encapsulating the crawl space), I agree with airman: A dehumidifier that is specifically developed for this application, will cost much less to run.

Add to that the savings with cooling and heating, because humid air costs more to cool and heat too and the dehumidifier will pay for itself in energy savings alone. For additional savings look for an Energy Star rated model.

Only a word of caution: if you have combustion appliances running in the crawl space, please consult a crawl space repair pro before you do anything. Don't do anything yourself if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing. You do not want to create hazardous conditions by depressurizing a crawl space with combustion appliances in.

Some more info on the proper wat to treat crawl spaces:

http://www.drit-crawl-spaces.com

http://www.crawlspaces.org

Old 01-09-09, 02:32 AM
The dehumidifier you choose should take into account the amount of moisture you want to shift per day, not just the size of the area. Often the manufacture guidelines only provide recommendations based on the area and not on the volume of water you want shifting, which can be a bit misleading so check both out. However, I agree 100%, preventing the root cause is much better in the long run! I have found ebac dehumidifiers to be very reliable in the past.
A couple of dehumidifier review links you may find useful are: home dehumidifiers and air dehumidifiers