Leveling Basement floor

Old 01-02-09, 10:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leveling Basement floor

I have an 80 year old home with a poorly poured (not level) basement floor. I would like to partially finish part of the basement and would like to level ~60% of the basement.

Of course I had considered ripping out the floor and having a new one poured (huge human effort and not really needed)....It was recommended to me to try a leveling cement based compound by a contractor, noting I can save some money by doing myself as it is not a difficult task.

I wanted to get input from anyone who understand this task or has done it before, for considerations, etc.....All input welcome....appreciation in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 07:11 PM
check out some of the old posts, many discussions of this in the past.

Murphy was an optimist

Old 01-03-09, 02:38 AM
It's not necessarily hard to do, but it is EXPENSIVE. Self-leveling overlays are basically just mix it, pour it on, and push it around with a squeegee. It levels and finishes itself. There's a little more to it in terms of surface prep, but those are the basics. The downside is the cost. Depending upon how unlevel your floor is, it could take a lot of material. As I said before, the stuff is high. I can't remember exactly, but it seems like the last time I checked it was around $80 per bag or something like that. After pricing it, check the cost of a complete tear-out and repour by a professional. I bet it will be similar in cost or cheaper than the overlay.
By the way, you will only find this type of material at an actual contractor's supply, not at HD, Lowes, Menards, etc.
To research self-levelers, google Ardex or Mapei. Be sure you're looking at self-leveling overlays. These companies have more than one product line and you don't want to get the wrong stuff. Good luck.

Old 01-03-09, 06:40 AM
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
While you are reading older posts, you will see many that have to deal with concrete floors that do not have a vapor barrier or any insulation under them. Depending upon how "finished" you are planning, a complete removal and new floor would give you the opportunity to add the above features. You could also add perimeter drains and an emergency sump.

hny
Bud