Doing my basement. Need layout help

Old 01-11-09, 08:33 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Doing my basement. Need layout help

I am not a do it yourself guy in the past, but now im all about it. Im willing to learn and do it myself. I have a 1 year old house, and a basement that is about 1719 sq. feet. I have done some layouts, but not sure if it maximizes the space. I lost my job but i do have another one, its just that now im not making what i used to so i cant hire a contractor, and i cant buy as much material at once. So i will be taking my time with it.

I wanted to post the layout and maybe get some feedback on a layout. I have a 3 bedroom upstairs, so in the basement, i need 2 bed rooms a kitchen (no stove) an office and a great room for watching tv. The wife doesn't want the door located in a bedroom so that is out. the green is load bearing and the red is studded for plumbing already. how do i post a layout pic?

Old 01-11-09, 08:54 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Post your layout at www.photobucket.com or other photo site and post link here for folks to click and view.

After you get your plans drawn, you will need to run them by the building inspector before you can get a permit. You can post a link to proposed layout, but the building inspector will want more detailed plans. It's a good idea to visit the building inspector to get an idea of expectations re: the info needed by that office. Too, you can get info on your local building code requirements, such as egress windows in basement bedrooms, ceiling height, etc.

Many folks like a kitchentte in great rooms. These can be attractive bar areas with undercounter microwave and refrigerator, cabinets for storage, and bar for entertaining. Think about what the room will be used for. Many like built-ins to accommodate TV and electronics. These can contain shelves for display and cabinets for storage. If this is going to be the focal point, you will need to keep in mind large enough space to arrange the conversation/viewing area.

Old 01-11-09, 10:37 PM
A
do not ever say you want a bed room in a basement .. you will be crucified if you have the nerve to ever let a local building dept know what you are doing.

Old 01-11-09, 11:44 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Basement bedrooms are fine. Building code requires an egress window. Do not ever finish a basement without a Building Permit. When it comes times to sell, you may have to tear out the finished basement and may be confronted with hefty fines. This has been discussed many times here. We have had posts from realtors and homeowners about the consequences of making changes to the home without proper permits and discussions. In other words, you will be 'crucified' if you do unpermitted work without the proper inspections.

Often times so much information is contradictory and in abundance, so to avoid the confusion check with your local building code office first. Building codes tend to vary from area to area.

Old 01-12-09, 07:27 AM
Hi gripp2020,

The first aspect to consider in order to design your basement is "what you are allowed to do". Check with your building dept the egress windows, ceiling height, ventilation systems, etc

The second part is a realistic $$$ estimation--> there are many things that you can DIY, however, for permits, seals and inspections you'll need to pay someone to do this for you

As for the layout, keep it simple and consider that you'll improve it in the future. For example, a wet bar. perhaps you can't install this now, but set the plumbing in order to install it in the future

If you can post pictures and dimensions as well as your ideas, perhaps I can sketch something

Old 01-12-09, 10:11 PM
G
Basement Layout

ok here it is. hope this works i found my pics and 2 other layouts.

gripp2020/Tha House - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

nothing is down there but the stud walls but i located the kitchen at the far end because i was told it would be better to place it there rather than under the upstairs kitchen because the distance would be longer to the outside wall. The kitchen upstairs would be located 5' or so above the word stairs, but in the middle of the room beside the 1st archway opening in the load bearing wall. I need 2 bedrooms a great room a kitchen and an office. we also kinda wanted the kitchen to be close to the great room instead of down the hall at the other end. Also the distance form inside wall to load bearing wall should be 16' I will also post my layouts after i see what you guys come up with so you can critic them. im hoping my imagination isnt too far off. i think ive come up with some good ones.

Last edited by gripp2020; 01-12-09 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 07:01 AM
OK, post your layouts so we can visualize your ideas. Also, please, post the comments / requeriments of your BD

Old 01-15-09, 07:07 PM
G
gripp2020/Tha House - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ok guys i have posted the layouts i liked. I would like some other layout options. This will be the first time I will attempt something of this magnitude. I will contract out what ever i cannot do, but i can lay it out and stud it myself. The only issues with the layouts are on Basement 1 - I dont want to waist the 3.5' on a hall way leading outside. The wife doenst want the outside door in a bed room (kid seeking out one day)

The kit. is where it is because the upstairs bath is directly above and the upstairs kit. come down and exits the wall at that location. And a builder said it would be simpler to just tap the bath line directly above to supply the downstairs sink. below and not have to run extra pipe from where the upstairs kit is located about 5' in front of the stairs.

So after the wife and i talked about our needs, I need 2 bed rooms, a great room, an office and a kitchen. The small room across from the bathroom is going to be storage.

I also put notes on most of the pics and layouts to guide the thought process.

Thanks guys

Last edited by gripp2020; 01-15-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-17-09, 08:06 PM
G
Waiting...

Posted the pics and the photo bucket link. You guys are welcome to do a sketch or cad drawing for layout advice. Or if you think the layouts i posted are fine, then i will begin laying out the stud drawings to calculate how much lumber i will need.

Old 01-22-09, 10:07 PM
M
Just thinking...

Why not get the kitchen water from the water heater location? This would allow the office to occupy the space where you had shown the kitchen, and the windowed wall would be be from left to right bedroom, bedroom, great room. This would also get rid of the need for all hallways except for one possibly to the bathroom and still keep the kitchen near the great room. You would need a drain line from the kitchen area however.

Old 01-29-09, 10:16 AM
G
Ok, the contractor who built my house came by on Monday to dress a few of my questions. I found out that I was misled by the inspector about the location of the kitchen. If you look at the drawing on the link, i was told that the water had to go out to the left where the 16'3" dimension is located. It actual would go straight down the page where the 7'3" dimension is. So according to him i can put the kitchen wherever i want cause it all goes out the same way.

Soooo.... I actually have a clean slate and can do what ever I want. No cracks no leaking or anything. So per him i can start when ever i want. But of course i need to finalize my design. Only thing is he likes a more open layout and thinks ive got too many walls. If i do that, i need to put columns in and im not sure how to do that.

But any way. I still welcome any layout help anyone wants to give.

Old 01-30-09, 03:44 PM
C
i personally would rather walk down into the kitchen and have the office and bed rooms along the back wall with the bathroom close to them and then the great room to be adjacent to the kitchen with out the parting wall it will make your space seem a lot bigger... just my 2 cents

Old 01-31-09, 07:02 AM
G
Yea im working on a design with the kitchen right on the other side of the wall where the steps are so that when i come down the steps and turn left your in the kitchen. i wil keep the bed rooms on oposit sides of the room and put the office down where the old kitchen location was. I wil have to work out another entrance for the bathroom because the sump pump is right where that hall way is so i may have to move the door of the bath, but have to figure out a location for the office door as well.

As for the space in front of the kitchen and the great room the wall is load bearing, but im hoping to put 2 columns there 8' apart and that should leave a nice open space and a much larger room.

Old 01-31-09, 10:11 PM
C
if you dont want posts in the way of your space and if yo have the means you can support the ceiling or floor joist with a 2x6 placed laterally on each side of desired wall measurement and support them with some 2x material if you get my meaning... if not i can draw up some stuff for you...

Old 02-01-09, 11:57 AM
G
Yea, draw up what you mean,please

Old 02-01-09, 02:37 PM
C
first i should ask if the walls running the length of the basement were there before or did you put them up... if you put them up then chances are the joist depending on what they are 2x12 or I joists could be spanning the distance on their own, Ill have to look at the photos closer... also off topic are those studs treated for the first 2' they look green for the first 2' off the floor

Old 02-01-09, 02:52 PM
C
ok the studs are treated for the first few feet thats cool we dont use those here... and the joist do look like I joists so depending on the depth or height of the joist the span can go like this...
9 1/2 deep on 16" center can span 16' easy
12" deep on 16" center can span 19" easy
take a few measurements between the stair wall and the wall that runs parallel with it

Old 02-03-09, 08:12 PM
G
The studs are treated for termites, that is the green huge you see at the bottom.

The house was built with the both of those walls and the longest one is a load bearing wall. HE stated that i can add columns, which would give me 8' spans between columns or i would have to remove the wall and add a structural I beam, which would really cost allot. I can deal with having the columns, rather than deal with that type of installation.

I posted a new layout labled "NEW LAYOUT" LOL to show what im leaning toward.

Old 02-03-09, 08:24 PM
C
you live in a different area obviously but here unless the span is crazy we use laminated beams to carry alot of our floors and ceilings they range from 4 to 7 $ a linear foot... I'll see if i can draw something that you can read and understand, I am not an artist!, But i think it might help...

Old 02-04-09, 12:23 PM
B
Hi gripp2020,

I do not see a beam above any of the walls in your pictures. All of the walls do have what are called squash blocks on top of them. These are used in I-joist (and other truss systems) where there is another wall (usually bearing) above. If you have no beam already at the bearing wall you mentioned you cannot install posts every 8'. You would still have to add a beam (of some type) in order to eliminate the wall and use posts. Again this is all based upon what I can see in your pictures and your description of the space.

Old 02-05-09, 10:29 AM
C
how do attach an image? im not sure how to do it on this site is there a attach file section... maybe i can send it to your email and you can post it for others to comment on it...

Old 02-05-09, 10:36 AM
S
I don't think I would call that back right corner room a bedroom without an egress window.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: