Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to remove blown insulation from the attic?

Old 01-20-09, 06:34 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I want to do this because the blown insulation was blown in very unevenly so some areas are acceptable as other areas aren't. There is rolled insulation under the blown insulation so when I try to move the blown insulation around I move the rolled insulation underneath as well. I am not sure what to call the insulation under the blown insualtion so I just called it rolled.

Can I just use a shop vac?

Thanks!Beer 4U2

Old 01-20-09, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
If the "roll" insulation has a vapor barrier facing the living area, don't remove anything, just add to what you have. Why is it that you see the need to remove the insulation? A shop vac will fill up in the first second and a half of operation, so you will be emptying it at least a thousand times if that is the course you want to take.

Old 01-20-09, 03:29 PM
J
to add to chandlers suggestion, you should be able to even out the blown insulation with a basic rake, maybe a small one since headroom is usually not good.

From your previous post, I am guessing you bought blown insualtion but did not blow it??? It can be somewhat difficult to pull apart, but it can be done. And right now, it is nice and cool up there.

Old 01-21-09, 06:49 AM
S
Thanks for the replies

I think I am just going to add a layer over the existing insulation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: