Uneven sloping basement floor help

Old 01-21-09, 10:04 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Uneven sloping basement floor help

Hi,

I have an unfinished basement in Chicago with uneven/sloped concrete slab floor, that slopes to 3 drains. I am trying to figure out what my options are. The drains must stay thus leveling the floor is not an option I am told. I had a sump-pump and drain tiles installed to solve our basement leak moisture problem, and currently have no water issue, however the possibility of backup in HEAVY storms, snow melt, etc. is always a possibility, so I know we must still worry about potential water issues. With all this said, we are thinking of installing Carpet.
Can we put down a dimple layered moisture/vapor barrier down, then moisture resistant carpet padding then carpet ( without a wood underlayment??? ) And the floor just remains uneven/sloped? Or is a Wood underlayment 100% required? If so, what is the best way to install with the sloped/uneven concrete slab that has floor drains?

If wood underlayment is required would a flooring system like DRI-CORE be the best course of action?

Looking for the best options on how to deal with the existing drains and sloped/uneven floor)

Old 01-21-09, 03:23 PM
J
What you describe has a very simple answer. Do not try to finish that basement. I would guess it will be flooded at least once every 5 yrs.

Old 01-21-09, 03:58 PM
C
You don't say how much the floor slopes, 6 inches, 3 feet? Bill is right about not doing it in the first place but if you've already decided, I would level the floor with PT sleepers ripped and shimmed to the concrete floor configuration and then install a level plywood subfloor on top of these.This would allow anything that needed to drain to do so. You could then carpet on top of your subfloor.

Old 01-22-09, 09:09 AM
H
Thanks for the replies. we have lived there for 4 years now, had the sump system put in 2 years ago and have not had a drop of water in the basement since....
we are definitely finishing about 60% of the basement as a living room/Rec. Room, we need the space as we have a baby now and 1 more in the near future.

to answer your question Craig, the slops is about 2-3 inches total, however there are 2 large cracks that have kind of turned into mini mountains ( they were like that when we moved in ) so they could have been there for the past 80 years for all I know? I was thinking of Chisseling these 2 high spots out, and putting in the sub-floor as you suggested, sounds like a good idea and one I can easily handle.

Old 01-22-09, 02:11 PM
C
You could also put some rigid styrofoam insulation between your sleepers to help insulate your floor. Make sure you maintain access to your sump pump if that's in the area you are finishing. Good luck.

Old 01-27-09, 09:00 PM
G
You might consider some kind of underlayment with grooves cut underneath for moisture control. If water comes up the grooves should help channel it to the drains.
Not sure if this is what I've seen before, but something very similar perhaps.
BARACADE 35 Pk. 2 Ft x 2 Ft OSB Insulated Sub Flooring Tile
Found it on HD's website. I'm sure there are other similar products out there. My suggestion would be to install with any kind of groove orientation to follow the floor slope to each of the drains.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: