Extension is still very cold.

Old 02-10-09, 07:47 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extension is still very cold.

I have an extension in the back of my house which is very nice during the spring and summer, but wow the place is too cold during the winter months, it's like been outside, although the place is heated but still is feels like an ice box. I just recently put insulation in the ceiling and the walls, I should also mention that I have 4 windows there as well which all are insulated very nicely. The size of the extension is about 13x13 and I have the basement under the extension.
Any ideas what else should I do to make it nice and warn during winter.

Old 02-10-09, 11:24 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
PTAC or mini split would work well to heat and cool.

Old 02-10-09, 12:11 PM
P
Have you used one of the free programmes on the net to give a fair guess at the amount of heat a given sized room requires?
Does your room heating provide enough warmth to bring the room up to the required temperature in the middle of winter?

If it does? Then look in the basement, the floor of the room should be insulated. The best form of insulation is closed cell poly foam, it needs to be at least five inches thick and the whole floor area must be covered in one monolithic piece, with no holes.
It may well be that the floor has some fibre glass pushed up against it, this is useless as, it will encourage the joists to rot.
Joists and floors are warmed from above (that's probably where your heat is going) the conduction and radiation keep the wood dry, insulate between the joists and the bottom of the joists become cold, then wet, then rot.

Old 02-10-09, 03:31 PM
J
Insulation in the walls/ceiling, what type, vapor barrier, how much in the attic space(should be R38 min)??. Basement space heated?? I assume three outside walls??? Type of glass in windows??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: