2x4s on attic trusses

Old 03-20-09, 01:23 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2x4s on attic trusses

I am putting an attic ladder and flooring over my garage, but I noticed two lines of 2x4s on the trusses over the main part of the house. I figured they were put there during construction to hold the trusses in place until the roof was put on.

My question is, "Do they serve a useful purpose now?" If not, why didn't the builder take them off and reuse them? Not worth it? I would like to reuse them.

Are they supposed to be there to there to keep the truss members from bowing or buckling?

TIA
-Al

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-09, 08:19 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If they are laying flat across the trusses they will help to distribute the weight and keep the trusses from wiggling, which can pop the screws on the ceiling below. If you are going to walk around up there, they are a bare minimum. Trusses in general are not designed to be walked on. I have used 2x6's on edge properly fastened to the trusses with plywood on top to create a walkway and storage area. But I tried to limit that to areas over a supporting wall.

As for the extra 2x4's I would leave them there. They are serving a purpose, stabilizing what you have, and are of minimal value.

If your garage is also trusses you may not want to put flooring up there unless it was designed for it.

Good luck
Bud

Old 03-21-09, 10:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More on attic flooring

Bud,

This is great advice, thank you.

I am interested in possible ways to put attic flooring where it was not originally designed for it.

What if you ran a horizontal 2x4 from the center vertical truss member to the sloping truss member at the roof - say maybe 10" above the floor to leave room for insulation. And then fastened a thin sheet of that pressed particle board between the 2x4 and the bottom truss member so it would be like those flooring joists. Does that sound like a good design? Can you suggest a better one?

I know it is location specific, but is this generally something that needs an inspection - the flooring and/or putting the attic ladder in?

Thanks again,
-Al

Old 03-21-09, 10:33 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If you are able to look from your garage attic into your house attic, no fire wall, then you may have some issues with installing the stairs. I don't have a complete picture of what you have, and I am by no means an expert on this, but in general you need to seal garage space from living space, fumes and fires.

As for beefing up the trusses to be able to walk on them, again I don't really know, but trusses do warn about not hanging loads from the bottom truss. The weight of the sheetrock is all the dead load they should see. In reality, many use their attic for storage. With the recent amounts of ceiling insulation being required I am actually seeing attics remain empty with nothing up there. The penality for utilizing that space would probably be sagging ceilings and nail/screw pops in the sheetrock.

Bud