Reasonable basement estimate?

Old 04-12-09, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reasonable basement estimate?

I'm finishing my basement and got an estimate from a family friend who's a Master Electrician and I'm wondering if it's a reasonable estimate.
The basement will have a bathroom, bedroom, family room and exercise area that will be off the family room, but open to it. (no door between them)
Basically the estimate is: 16 recessed cans. 16 duplex receptacles, 4 single pole switches, 2 three way switches, new hard wired smoke, 2 phone/cable jacks
Estimate includes all materials and labor to wire new basement finish $2600
The house is fairly new and everything is easily accessible.
Does that sound like a reasonable estimate?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-09, 06:47 PM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Your price is very much a function of where you live. High where I live, but wouldn't get an electrician in the door in some areas. In general not a bad price, I would expect half that in my town.

But I have a question as you did not mention. Creating living space in basements is a difficult process if access, insulation, moisture, and other aspects haven't been built in from the start. Local codes can be a problem and insurance and resale can be issues if all is not approved construction. You may have your permits, but you didn't say so I had to comment.

Bud

Old 04-14-09, 06:59 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think the materials would be more than $600 so he would be making $2,000 on the job for 2 days work. I'd say it's high. Even if the materials were $800, it's still high.

Old 04-14-09, 02:40 PM
I'm with Bud on this. Get a permit, protect your family, that's your job. Do you have any heating furnace or water tank, any gas supplied, any egress out a bedroom in case of fire, inspections by local B.D. so your insuranse will pay if you need to claim. If so.... great!

I won't hire or do work for friends or relatives, and it's never bitten me yet. Get 2 other estimates, for your local area. Your square footage, 900 - or 1900.

Be safe, GBR