Adding Heat/Air Cond. to an unfinished attic

Old 04-14-09, 09:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Heat/Air Cond. to an unfinished attic

I just purchased a 1 1/2 story bungalow. The upstairs is unfinished and I need to provide heat and air conditioning to the upstairs. The home currently does not have air conditioning, so I can add that after the heating ducts are installed.
My question is, what is the best way to heat the attic. My preferred method, if possible, is to run new ductwork from the basement up to the attic utilizing the existing forced air furnace. But how do you get the duct to the upper floor?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-09, 04:44 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Best method is to have a second unit just for 2nd floor. If you use the unit that is in the basement it will be under sized for the home.

Old 04-15-09, 05:13 AM
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Here is a link to add to what you will be doing .

Welcome To Home Energy Magazine Online

Bud
Also, you might want to look at Mini-Split heat pumps. Once the attic area is completed, it will benefit from the heat below in winter and need extra AC in the summer. Heat pumps are great at AC and OK for heat, a good match for 2nd floor heat/ac.

Last edited by Bud9051; 04-15-09 at 05:17 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-15-09, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for info, but if possible, I would rather not add another heating unit. The current unit is pretty old and inefficient so replacing it would be a good idea.
I would like to run the heat up to the unfinished attic at the same time that I replace the current furnace. What I don't know is how to get the duct work up to the second floor nor how much it would cost. First floor is around 900 sq. ft, second floor is approx. 300 sq. ft. Is is possible to go through the inside of the exterior walls (there are not insulated-older home) or go through the interior walls?

Old 04-15-09, 04:08 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You could do either. But I would advise not go to the exterior. Insulate those walls. Most likely you will have to replace all the duct in the basement to size it to handle the extra air to get to the second floor.