basement stairs

Old 05-05-09, 01:41 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement stairs

Recently purchased a new home with an unfinished basement. Well the walls are all studded and sheetrocked and trimmed and painted and now my only project is the stairs leading up to the main portion of the house.

The stairs that the builder put in are the typical type for unfinished basements. The stairs go up what I would call an enclosed "stair well" (walls on both sides). The treads are typical pine with a rounded bull-nose and the risers are rough plywood.

I am trying to decide the best way to finish both the treads and risers. One way I was thinking was to remove the bull-nose on the existing treads, cutting them back till they are flush with the risers. Then face the risers using a better grade 1/4" plywood, which will be painted white semi-gloss later. Now I am trying to determine what is the best way to top off the treads? Should I use a nice solid oak flooring or get 1/4" or 1/2" thick oak boards and either nail or screw them to the existing treads and apply a half-round oak molding where the treads meet the risers?

Any suggestings will be greatfully appreciated.

MZ

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-09, 02:46 PM
When we moved into out home we had carpeted stairs to the basement. We always wanted to switch to hardwood, so we eventually did the following:

1.) Removed carpeting

2.) Removed 2X treads and plywood risers

3.) Installed 1/2" oak rises

4.) Installed Oak stair treads ( you can buy these at home centers with the bullnose preinstalled)

5.) Stained and poly'd

Turned out pretty good and was easier than I expected.

Old 05-05-09, 07:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
mziese1, then what you bought was a "finished basement", not an unfinished one.
You don't want to cut the bull nose flush to the risers. You can sand and paint the treads, and if you don't like the risers, install 1/4" luan cut to the size of the risers and paint it as well.
You can go all the way by removing the treads and risers and install oak, but $$$. Do you plan on carpeting the stairs at some point? If so, leave them as is and have the carpet installed over them.

Old 05-26-09, 10:54 PM
S
Basement Stairs

I use StairTek's pre-finished stair treads along with EZ Stair's adjustable brackets. It's strong and it looks great-a simple install.
Stairtek.... Taking your stairs to the next level
How To Build Stairs | interior stairs, deck stairs, concrete stairs- Make it Easy With EZ Stairs.

Old 06-10-09, 07:25 PM
D
Originally Posted by mziese1 View Post
Recently purchased a new home with an unfinished basement. Well the walls are all studded and sheetrocked and trimmed and painted and now my only project is the stairs leading up to the main portion of the house.
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
mziese1, then what you bought was a "finished basement", not an unfinished one.
I think mziese meant that the basement was unfinished, they did a lot of work to install walls and paint to create a finished basement, and now just have one project left: the stairs.

Old 06-10-09, 09:06 PM
G
Whatever you do them, try not to have the risers or treads vary in difference by more than 3/8"(UBC 1003.3.3.3)
A nosing is required if under 11" tread depth, and a landing is required at the top and bottom of stairs EXC door at interior stair may open away from top step. If you build per code, no one can sue if they fall at the basement warming party.

http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20...C%20SCREEN.pdf Be safe, G

Old 06-11-09, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is amazing what an inch can do to steps. We have a new sanctuary at church and the poured steps in the balcony vary somewhat from each other. I sit in the sound booth and watch people every week miscalculate certain steps and almost trip. It is amazing it passed any scrutiny.